Here is a list of top Web Services Testing API Tools. The list contains both open-source(free) and premium web API testing tools.
API Automation Tools & API Testing Framework
|Parasoft SOAtest||Request a Free Trial||Learn More|
|TestGrid||Lifetime Free Basic Plan||Learn More|
|ReadyAPI||14-day Free trial (No Credit Card Required)||Learn More|
|Katalon Platform||Lifetime Free Basic Plan||Learn More|
|Subject7||14-day Free trial||Learn More|
Parasoft SOAtest lets you easily create automated API and microservices tests that execute within your continuous integration and DevOps pipelines. It automates the continuous testing of complex systems by building codeless API test scenarios from manual recordings. SOAtest efficiently transforms your API testing artifacts into security and performance tests, increasing reusability and reducing redundancy. Parasoft’s API testing platform is widely recognized as best-in-class, with innovative tooling and broad support for over 120 message formats and protocols.
- Automatically generate codeless API tests that are robust, reusable, and easily shareable.
- Leverage artificial intelligence to create robust test scenarios in less time than other tools.
- Get rapid feedback from your CI/CD pipeline with AI-infused test execution aligned to code changes.
- Keep test assets in sync with evolving systems via automation.
- Seamlessly integrate with load testing, penetration testing, and service virtualization.
TestGrid API Testing is lightweight, web-based API development suite with a minimalistic UI design, which is 70% faster than the traditional API automation process to help you test faster and release better. You can engage your testing and business teams to build and execute test cases without any pre-requisites of programming knowledge.
- Easy to Use API Automation for SOAP and REST calls
- Deeper Assertions – has the ability to write test cases that validate against API calls. Supports MITM
- Fetch detailed report of the number of Source Type, Request Data, Response Data, Duration, Speed, Request Size, and Response Size.
- Performance testing to help you optimize & improve your API
- API Integration Automated Testing
- Transaction Monitoring
- Scriptless testing for faster automation
- Integrate with your favorite CI/CD tool for continuous testing
Lifetime Free Basic Plan
ReadyAPI is a leading tool for functional, security, and load testing of RESTful, SOAP, GraphQL, and other web services.In one intuitive platform, you will get four powerful tools, API functional testing, API performance testing, API security testing, and API & Web virtualization. You can easily integrate your CI/CD pipeline during every build.
- ReadyAPI can be integrated into any environment.
- It has a Smart Assertion feature that can create bulk assertions against hundreds of endpoints quickly.
- Native support for Git, Docker, Jenkins, Azure, etc.
- Supports Command-line for automated testing.
- Supports parallel execution of functional tests and job queuing.
- Promotes code reuse
- Removes dependencies during testing and development.
14-day Free trial (No Credit Card Required)
Katalon Platform brings a hassle-free API testing platform for testers with or without prior programming experience.
- Supports all types of REST, SOAP requests, SSL client certificate.
- Easily import tests from Swagger (2.0 & 3.0), Postman, WSDL, and WADL.
- Built off of data-driven testing methods better test coverage and reliability.
- Create fluent assertions in BDD style with AssertJ support.
- Support set up API test data using UI testing.
- Provide insightful test report dashboards of all testing stages for better monitor and collaboration across teams.
Lifetime Free Basic Plan
Subject7 is a cloud-based, “true codeless” test automation solution that unifies all testing in a single platform and empowers anyone to become an automation expert. Supporting both REST and SOAP API testing and end-to-end and database testing, Subject7 makes it easy to scale and run sophisticated API tests through a simple and easy-to-use interface.
- Supports both REST and SOAP services
- Enables verification of responses in JSON and XML formats
- Reads and stores values from API response, easily incorporating them into the testing flow.
- Simple, non-metered pricing, delivering financial predictability.
- SOC2 Type2 compliant
14-day Free trial
Postman is a plugin in Google Chrome, and it can be used for testing API services. It is a powerful HTTP client to test web services. For manual or exploratory testing, Postman is a good choice for testing API.
- With Postman, almost all modern web API data can be extracted
- You can write Boolean tests within Postman Interface
- You can create a collection of REST calls and save each call as part of a collection for execution in future
- Unlike CURL, it is not a command line based tool, which makes this tool hassle free of pasting text into command line window
- For transmitting and receiving REST information, Postman is more reliable
30-day Free trial
Tricentis is a robust web services testing tool. Prominent API Testing features of Tricentis Tosca are –
- This web services test tool supports a wide array of protocols including HTTP(s) JMS, AMQP, Rabbit MQ, TIBCO EMS, SOAP, REST, IBM MQ,NET TCP
- It integrates into the Agile and DevOps Cycle
- It is one of the best api automation tools which uses model-based test automation that makes script maintenance easy.
- Enables end-to-end testing as API tests can be used across mobile, cross-browser, packaged apps, etc.
Tricentis’ 400+ customers include global names from the Top 500 brands such as ExxonMobil, HBO, Whole Foods, Toyota, Allianz, BMW, Starbucks, Deutsche Bank, Lexmark, Orange, A&E, Vantiv, Vodafone, Telstra and UBS.
Download link: https://www.tricentis.com/software-testing-tool-trial-demo/
8) SOAP UI
The most widely popular tool for API testing in the world, SoapUI allows you to test REST and SOAP APIs with ease – as it has been built specifically for API testing.
- Quick and Easy Test Creation: Point-and-click, drag-and-drop, functionality makes complicated tasks (like working with JSON and XML) simple
- Powerful data-driven testing: Load data from Excel, files, and databases to simulate the way consumers interact with your APIs
- Reusability of Scripts: Reuse your functional test cases as load tests and security scans in just a few clicks
- Seamless Integrations: Integrates with 13 API management platforms, supports REST, SOAP, JMS, and IoT
SoapUI Pro is used by thousands of leading companies around the world, including: Apple, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, HP, NASA, eBay, MasterCard, Intel, FedEx, and Pfizer
Download link: https://smartbear.com/product/ready-api/soapui/overview/
9) HP QTP(UFT)
It provides an extensible framework helpful in executing and building the functionality of headless system that do not have a user interface. It is one of the best api testing tools that helps to test the headless technologies like Databases and Webservices, JMS, etc. By using the API test conversion tool, you can convert soapUI tests to UFT (QTP) API tests.
vREST API testing tool provides an online solution for automated testing, mocking, automated recording and specification of REST/HTTP APIs/RESTful APIs.
- It provides an exhaustive tool to quickly validate your REST APIs
- This rest api test tool delivers zero defect web applications with less effort in API testing
- To validate your web application no skilled resources are required, and it can generate documentation for your API specifications
- API mocks can be created in vREST with the help of Mock Server Functionality. User can directly start developing frontend using mock HTTP requests
It is a web development tool to automate web application testing, including API testing, service testing and website testing. It is one of the best web api testing tools primarily used as web API test tool to automate testing of web API calls.
HttpMaster is a best choice for API testing as it has got
- Several http methods (GET, POST, DELETE etc.)
- Dynamic parameters of various data types to make batches of different API requests
- Various validation types and advanced validation expressions
12) Ping API
- Ping- API to schedule test in every minutes or hour
- Support for writing script to set request headers, body and URL parameters. It supports for writing script to validate response headers and body
- It is one of the best api tools that validates CRUD flow and log in to Ping API
Download link: https://ping-api.com/
It’s a popular rest api testing framework to test REST services in Java.
Learn more about Rest-Assured
14) Karate DSL
Karate is a new API testing framework base on cucumber library. Karate DSL allows testers to write meaningful tests for web service using a domain-specific language.
- It supports configuration switching/staging, multi-threaded parallel execution
- Allows testing and generating reports just like any standard Java Project
- Possible to write tests even for the non-programmers
- The karate API testing tool allows re-use of payload-data and user-defined functions across tests.
Download link: https://github.com/intuit/karate
15) Rest Console
HTTP client and Request visualizer and constructor REST API testing tool. It is one of the best api testing tools which helps developers to build, debug and test RESTful APIS.
- Construct POST or PUT body via raw input
- Easy query parameters creation
- Add custom headers through intuitive UI
- Keyboard navigation and shortcuts
Download link: https://github.com/ahmadnassri/app-restconsole
Hippie-swagger is a tool for testing APIS. It is one of the best api testing tools which supports a clear assertion syntax, for extending test behavior. It also allows clean printing reports.
- It will fail test whenever swagger documentation is either erroneous or missing
- Readable and accurate assertation messages
- Validated parameters, request, response, pats, etc.
Download link: https://github.com/CacheControl/hippie-swagger
PyRestTest is a Python-based REST API testing platform. It supports tests in JSON or YAML config files. Therefore, there is no code needed.
- It’s minimal dependencies, which allows easy deployment on-server for smoke tests/health checks
- This REST API test tool will return exit codes on failure
- Pyresttest allows to generate/extract and validate mechanisms to build test scenarios
Download link: https://github.com/svanoort/pyresttest
Airborne is one of the best API automation tools used by rest API tester for testing Rest APIs.
- Airborne is a programming and rest api testing framework, so it has no user interface apart from the text file to create code
- To use airborne, you just need to remember a few key methods in the toolset and some ruby and rspec fundamentals
Download link: https://github.com/brooklynDev/airborne
JMeter is used for functional API testing which includes needed to test an API. It is one of the best api testing tools which has features which help to boost the performance of API testing.
- It can be used for both static as well as dynamic resources performance testing
- It supports replaying of test results
- It can automatically work with CSV files. This helps test team to produce unique parameter values for API tests
Download link: http://jmeter.apache.org/
20) APIpray Inspector
Apiary allows monitoring the API during the design phase by capturing both request and response. It allows the user to write API blueprints and lets the user view them Apiary editor or Apiary.jo.
- Role-based access control over API documents.
- It allows to add and remove team members from API design projects
- API Blueprint management dashboard
Download link: https://apiary.io/
21) SOAP Sonar
SOAPSonar is an API testing and diagnostics platform for SOAP, XML, REST-based web services. Use external sources like Excel, MS SQL, Oracle or any ODBC Database for automated tests.
- This web services test tool identifies Web Services vulnerabilities like Malware Threat and SQL Injection
- Web Service Functional Testing with Success Rule Framework and Concurrent Client Load Testing
- Native HP QC Integration, and supports integration with Hudson, Ant, and JUnit
Download link: http://www.crosschecknet.com/
22) API Science
API science allows monitoring the health, availability, and performance of web APIs. It is one of the best api testing tools that enables monitoring Private, Partner and Public APIs. This tool allows the user to know if any API ever goes down so that needed action should be taken to bring it back up.
- Powerful reporting mechanism helps to get insights into historical trends and spot future issues.
- Supports JSON, REST, XML, and Oauth
- Helps to manage API supply chain
Download link: https://www.apiscience.com/
Apigee is a cross-cloud API testing tool. It allows the user to measure and test API performance, supports and build API using other editors like Swagger. It offers security and governance policies across all APIs.
- Allows to design monitor, deploy, and scale APIs
- Easily create API proxies from the Open API Specification and deploy them in the cloud
- Identify performance issues by tracking API traffic, error rates, and response times
Download link: http://apigee.com/
❓ What is API?
An API or Application programming interface is a collection of software functions and procedures through which other software applications can be accessed or executed.
✅ Which are the Best API Testing Tools?
Here are some of the Best API Testing Tools:
⚡ What is the importance of API testing in agile development?
For Agile development, API Testing becomes important as shorter development cycles put more pressure on automated testing.
🌟 What are the general features of API testing tools?
The general features of API testing tools are:
- Exhaustive features to quickly validate your REST APIs.
- Support various validation types and advanced validation expressions.
- Enables you to write tests even for the non-programmers.
- It has easy to use UI.
💥 What are the benefits of API?
The important benefits of API are:
- Companies can update the workflow to become more productive.
- It helps you to personalize user experience.
- Organizations can customize the service with ease.
- Content can be embedded from any application or site.