1) What is SCCM?
SCCM stands for System Center Configuration Manager. It is a software management product developed by Microsoft. This tool allows users to manage Windows-based systems.
2) What is the central site?
A central site is the SCCM primary site, which resides at the top of the hierarchy of the configuration manager. The database of the central site collects all the information rolls from child to parent.
3) List various client deployments methods
Various client deployments methods are: 1) client push installation, 3) logon script installation, 4) software update point based installation, 5) group policy installation, 6) upgrade installation, and 7) manual installation.
4) Explain boundaries in SCCM
Boundary is a network location available on the internet. It can be active directory site name, IP subnet, an IP address range, or IPv6 Prefix.
5) Differentiate between the primary site and Secondary Site
|Primary Site||Secondary Site|
|The primary site provides access to MS SQL Database.||The secondary site does not provide access to MS SQL Database.|
|Clients are assigned directly to this site.||Clients are not assigned directly to this site.|
|It can have child sites of their own.||It cannot have child sites of their own.|
|It can be administered using the configuration manager console.||It can be administered using the primary site.|
6) What is the use of WSUS?
WSUS allows administrators to deploy the Microsoft software updates to systems that are using the Windows OS.
7) What is Software Update Point?
SUP (Software Update Point) is a component of software updates. It is displayed as a site system role in the Configuration Manager console. The SUP should be created on a site system server having WSUS (Windows Server Update Services) is installed.
8) Mention various discovery methods
Various discovery Methods are:
- Active directory system group discovery
- Active directory security group discovery
- Active directory user discovery
- Network discovery
- Heartbeat discovery
- Active directory system discovery.
9) Mention the difference between package refresh & package update
|Package Refresh||Package Update|
|A package refresh is generally used as a refreshed file.||A package update is used when the user has made changes in the source file.|
|When a user makes changes in the file, it will create a compressed file.||The package cannot create a compressed file.|
|It can overwrite the old package files.||It can update the source package version in SQL.|
10) Mention the ports used in SCCM
Ports used in SCCM are:
- Client to site system HTTP port 80
- Default HTTPS port 443
- SMB 445
- TCP 2701
11) List the features of SCCM
Important features of SCCM are:
- Update and patch systems
- Tracks the software and hardware assets
- Deploys operating systems
- It enables to control and support the client remotely
- SCCM allows to the configured desired system.
- It can be used for software customization.
12) Explain content library
The content library is a storage format that has only one instance of each file. It stores all the content in software distribution points using the content library.
13) What is the use of the cloud management dashboard?
The Cloud management dashboard offers a centralized view of cloud management gateway usage. It included a CMG connection analyzer to troubleshoot issues in real-time.
14) Differentiate between SCCM & WSUS
The difference between SCCM & WSUS is:
|The full form of SCCM is Center Configuration Management.||The full form of WSUS is Windows Server Update Service.|
|SCCM is used for pushing images of all types of operating systems.||It can’t be used for pushing images for all types of operating systems.|
|SCCM offers asset management functionality.||WSUS does not offer asset management functionality.|
15) What is site system?
A site system a computer which is using a supported version of Windows. It can also be a shared folder that hosts multiple site systems.
16) What is the site system role?
A site system role is a function needed to use Configuration Manager or to use its feature.
17) What is the site server?
The site server is the system on which the user is going to install the configuration manager. It hosts services required for the configuration manager.
18) Explain BDP
Branch distribution points give an option for efficient package distribution to premises. It can be premised, having limited bandwidth. BDP depends on a standard distribution point from which it receives content.
Branch distribution should contact a BITS-enabled standard distribution to function properly.
19) What is inventory in SCCM?
The inventory gives you system information like processor type, operating system, and application). There are two types of inventory:
- Software inventory: It collects files from the client machine and store on the website server.
- Hardware inventory: It collects information about the client’s hardware configuration in an organization.
20) What is Asset Intelligence in SCCM?
Asset Intelligence allows the administrator to use inventory and management software using the configuration manager hierarchy.
21) Explain Out of Band Management
Out of band management in SCCM offers management control for PC.
22) Why use BITS in SCCM?
Background Intelligent Transfer Service or BITS available in SCCM allows the data transfers to use only the existing bandwidth. It does not obstruct the network while distributing information to clients.
23) Mention the types of the sender in SCCM
Types of the sender in SCCM are 1) Standard Sender and 2) Courier Sender.
24) What is the full form of ITMU?
The full form of ITMU is the Inventory Tool for Microsoft Updates.
25) Mention different application detection methods defined in SCCM
Different application detection methods defined in SCCM are: 1) File system, 2) Registry, 3) Windows installers, and 4) custom detection.
26) Explain the uses of state migration role in SCCM
The state migration role is used to take backup and migrate user states. It uses task sequences to capture and restore the user state data in OS deployment.
27) Why used the global condition option?
Global condition option application deployment to have granular control over deployment. It can also be used to avoid issues that are faced in deployment.
28) What is client policy?
Client policy can be defined as how often configuration manager clients download the following client policy:
- Windows OS computers (servers, desktops, laptops, etc.)
- Mobile devices
- Mac OS computers
- Computers that run UNIX or Linux.
29) Mention client installation options available in SCCM
Client installation options available in SCCM are:
- Client push
- Manual installation
- Group policy installation
- Microsoft Intune installation
- Software update point-based installation
- Logon script installation.
30) What is the fallback status point in SCCM?
The fallback status point redirect provides Configuration Manager clients another fallback server in case if client installation fails or site assignment.
31) Mention the difference between native and mixed-mode
Difference between native and mixed-mode is:
|Native mode||Mixed mode|
|The Native mode is used for authentication and encryption.||The mixed-mode can be used to locate the default management point of the client.|
|It can be integrated with the public key infrastructure.||It cannot be integrated with public key infrastructure.|
32) Define Software Metering
Software metering is used for monitoring and collecting data related to the use of the software on the various clients of CM.
33) Explain log files needed for inventory
Log files needed for inventory are:
- log: Software inventory and file collections.
- log: Hardware inventory, software inventory, and heartbeat discovery agent on client.
34) List SCCM management Point Log Files?
SCCM management Point Log Files are:
35) What is branch cache?
The branch cache is a windows component that is used for bandwidth optimization.
36) What is NAP?
Network Access Protection is a feature that leverages Windows 2008 NAP to control which computer has access to a network.
37) What is WOL?
WOL stands for Wake-On-LAN. It allows a magic packet to be sent to a computer to wake up, ready to receive software updates.
38) Define Deployment Share SCCM
A deployment share in SCCM is a repository for the OS images, applications, language packs, and device drivers. They can be deployed to the target machine.
39) Why used Server Locator Point in SCCM?
Server Locator Point is SCCM hierarchy to complete the client site assignment on the intranet. It helps clients to find MP and help clients find management point.
40) What are MIF files in SCCM?
SCCM MIF files are files that enable us to determine the success or failure of any installation. Once the program is finishing its execution, SCCM would check %windir% and %temp% directories for new files.
41) Where to install and configure Courier Sender?
The courier sender in SCCM is installed and configured on primary and secondary sites.
42) Define SCCM BITS Throttling
SCCM BITS Throttling is a property of client agent which is found in path: Site Management\Site\Site Settings\Client Agents.
43) List out important site system roles
Site system roles are:
- Management Point
- Distribution point
- Reporting point
- PXE service point
- State migration point
- Software update point
- Server locator point
- Fallback status point
44) What is enhanced HTTP site system?
Enhanced HTTP site system is a way in which the client machine communicates with the site system. It has a feature that enables new users to use configuration manager certification to access the HTTP site.
45) Explain Heartbeat Discovery mode
Heartbeat Discovery mode is used by active configuration manager clients for updating discovery records in a specific database. It is initiated by an active client. Heartbeat Discovery does not find any new resource
46) Explain application catalog web service point
Application Catalog web service point transfers the software information to the catalog website from the library.
47) Define network discovery mode
Network discovery mode searches network infrastructure for network devices having an IP address. It allows users to find devices that are not found by other searching methods, including bridges, routers, and printers.
48) Explain the reporting service point
A reporting services point a method of integrating SQL server reporting services. It is used for both creating and managing configuration manage application catalog web service point.
49) Explain All Unknown Computers collection
The All Unknown Computers collection has two objects which represent records in the database. It enables users to deploy OS to their PC that is not managed by configuration manager.
50) Define Shared distribution points
Shared distribution points are points at sites in the source hierarchy. It is used by clients at the destination during the migration period.
51) How to find which object types are assigned to security roles?
Users can generate the security report for a particular configuration manager objects in order to find types of objects that are assigned to security roles.
52) What is the primary difference between internet-based client management and DirectAccess?
The primary difference between Internet-based client management and DirectAccess is:
|internet-based client management||DirectAccess|
|Internet-based client management is a particular configuration manager.||DirectAccess is a Windows solution that allows users to manage domain systems when they switch from intranet to the internet.|
|It will enable users to manage mobile devices and computers when they are on the internet.||It enables users to manage the router, IPV4, and IPV6 networks.|
53) Explain parent site
The parent site is a site at the top level in the hierarchy. It does not come under any other site.
54) Explain child site
Child site is a site that gets information from higher-level sites.
55) Define SMS provider
SMS Provider is a Windows Management Instrumentation provider that allows read and write access to the network configuration manager site database. It is used by the configuration manager console.
56) What is the central administration site?
The central administration site manages side replication of data across the hierarchy using the configuration manager database. It also allows the administration of hierarchy-wide configurations for discovery, client agents, and other operations.
This site can be used for all administration as well as reporting for specific hierarchy.
57) Explain DPM
DPM stands for Data Protection Manager. It is used when SCOM finds any faults on a machine.
DPM helps to recover data from the backup that it holds. It can take a backup of SharePoint data, server file system, SQL databases, exchange databases, etc.
58) What is remote control?
The remote control is a provision to take the remote access of a computer to analyze the issue. It allows an administrator or support engineer to access any system remotely.
59) Explain reporting in SCCM
SCCM provides integration with a report generation tool. It generates reports depend on the requirements of IT administrators.
These reports are:
- Standard configuration reports
- Report of systems having missed the updates
- Inventory reports.
60) What is an internet client?
Internet client is a component on the SCCM tool. It enables users to access mobile devices or remote systems remotely without using a VPN network.
61) What is Asset tracking?
Asset tracking can be defined as a system that needs to be kept in the track of patches or updates. It is generally done when the system is created with a required OS.
62) How to backup SCCM server?
Users can take a backup of SCCM server by expanding site settings node and click on a specific task.
63) Explain database replication
Database replication uses My SQL server to transfer data for settings and configurations to other sites that are in the CM hierarchy.
64) Mention the services needed for the client computer to communicate with the server.
The services needed for the client machine to communicate with the server are: 1) Computer browser, 2) Windows installer, 3) SMS agent host, 4) BITS, and 5) WMI.
65) What is SCCM console?
SCCM console is an administrative tool to perform various tasks like application deployment, device management, application deployment, and network.