What is an Ethernet cable?
An Ethernet cable is a network cable used for high-speed wired network connections between two devices. This network cable is made of four-pair cable, which is consists of twisted pair conductors. It is used for data transmission at both ends of the cable, which is called RJ45 connector.
The Ethernet cables are categorized as Cat 5, Cat 5e, Cat 6, and UTP cable. Cat 5 cable can support a 10/100 Mbps Ethernet network while Cat 5e and Cat 6 cable to support Ethernet network running at 10/100/1000 Mbps.
What is Straight Through Cable?
Straight-through cable is a type of CAT5 with RJ-45 connectors at each end, and each has the same pin out. It is in accordance with either the T568A or T568B standards. It uses the same color code throughout the LAN for consistency. This type of twisted-pair cable is used in LAN to connect a computer or a network hub such as a router. It is one of the most common types of network cable.
What Is Crossover Cable?
A Crossover cable is a type of CAT 5 where one end isT568A configuration and the other end as T568BConfiguration. In this type of cable connection, Pin 1 is crossed with Pin 3, and Pin 2 is crossed with Pin 6.
Crossover cable is used to connect two or more computing devices. The internal wiring of crossover cables reverses the transmission and receive signals. It is widely used to connect two devices of the same type: e.g., two computers or two switches to each other.
In regard to physical appearance, Crossover Ethernet cables are very much similar to regular Ethernet cables. Still, they are different with regard to the order with which the wires are arranged. This type of Ethernet cable is made to connect to network devices of the same kind over Ethernet directly. Crossover cables are mostly used to connect two hosts directly.
- Crossover cable, Pin 1 is crossed with Pin 3, and Pin 2 is crossed with Pin 6 while in Straight-through cable Pin connection is one to one.
- Straight-through cables are mainly used for connecting non-similar devices while crossover cables are mostly used for connecting similar devices.
- Straight through cable connects a computer with a DSL modem while Crossover cable connects Router to Router and Computer to Computer.
When to use Straight Through Cable?
Here are applications where you should use Crossover Cable:
- It helps you to connect a computer to a switch/hub’s normal port.
- You can use it to connect a computer to a cable/DSL modem’s LAN port.
- It allows you to connect a router’s WAN port to a cable/DSL modem’s LAN port.
- Connect 2 switches or hubs with one of the hub or switch using an upline port and the other one using a normal port.
When to use Crossover Cable?
Here is an application where you should use Crossover Cable:
- It can use a computer to a computer with no switch or hub.
- Network devise to the network device. For example, the route to the router.
- Crossover cable enables one to establish a direct connection between two computing devices using Ethernet ports.
- It Connects two computers directly.
- You can connect two hubs/switches by using the normal port in both switches and hubs.
Difference between Crossover and Straight-through cable
Here are the difference between Crossover and straight-through cable
|Straight-through cable is a type of CAT5 with RJ-45 connectors at each end, and each has the same pin out.||A Crossover cable is a type of CAT where one end is T568A configuration, and the other end as T568B Configuration.|
|It is one of the most commonly used cable formats for network cables.||It is used only for certain applications.|
|You can also connect it to the router’s LAN port to a switch/hub’s uplink port.||You can connect it to a router’s LAN port to a switch or hub’s regular port|
|Straight through cable connects a computer with a cable or DSL modem’s LAN port.||Crossover cable connects with a router’s LAN port with switch/hub normal port.|
|You should use straight-through cable when you want to connect two devices of different types.||You should use a crossover cable when you want to connect two devices of the same type.|
|It helps you connect a router’s WAN port to a cable or DSL modem’s LAN port.||You can connect two switches/hubs by using the normal port in both switches/hubs.|
|Straight-through cables are mainly used for connecting, unlike devices.||While crossover cables are mostly used for connecting like devices.|
Straight Through vs. Crossover Cable, which one to choose?
The selection or network cable should be done based on your application. If you want your cable to connect to your computer and printer together, you need a crossover cable. If you have several computers and a printer, you should buy a switch.
All the computers connected to the switch with a straight–through cable and printer should be connected to the switch with a straight-through cable.