Writing Apps are applications that help you to manage and boost writing stories, emails, ideas, social media posts, articles, and more. These programs have a user-friendly interface that helps you to manage your files.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Writing Software, with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best Text Writing Apps & Software
|Prowritingaid||Mac, Web, and Windows.||14-Day Free Trial||Learn More|
|Copy.ai||Web||Lifetime Free Basic Plan||Learn More|
|Surfer||Mac, Web, and Windows||30-Day Money-back Guarantee||Learn More|
|Grammarly||Web and browser extension.||Free Forever||Learn More|
|Final Draft||Mac and Windows||30-Day Free Trial||Learn More|
Prowritingaid is a tool that offers world-class grammar and style checking facility. It helps you to edit documents faster. This software includes more than 1000s of style to improve your writing.
- It enables you to fix the writing style issue.
- Prowritingaid shows spelling and grammar mistakes.
- It has word explorer facilities to find the right word.
- It is one of the best writing apps for Windows that offers a consistent report to reduce mistakes.
Supported Platform: Mac, Web, and Windows.
Copy.ai is an automated content creation tool that helps you generate marketing copy in seconds. This writing app saves your time from the time-consuming task of brainstorming.
- You can select headlines, blog intros, product descriptions, and much more.
- It helps you create digital ad copy, social media content, website, blog, or sales copy content.
- You will get 10 results at a time, and you can run the tool again to generate more ideas.
Surfer is an easy to use writing app that helps you to generate a whole content strategy in a few clicks. It allows you to develop data-driven content.
- Helps you to craft content marketing strategy through generating guidelines and insights for a single article.
- One-click content guidelines to make search engine results by storm.
- Help you identify content gaps and structural defects.
- Generate a content strategy according to your business needs.
Grammarly is a widely used writing enhancement tool. It offers numerous writing styles, suggestions for grammar, vocabulary, and syntax. You can use this tool via the website, as a browser extension or as an app that you download to your computer.
- It helps enhance your writing skills by highlighting grammatical mistakes and areas of improvement.
- Works with every type of website with ease.
- Detect contextual mistakes.
- Genre-specific suggestion abilities.
- It offers a useful knowledge base for grammar learning.
- Helps writer to boost their writing style.
- Make text corrections across different websites and platforms.
Supported Platform: Web and browser extension.
5) Final Draft
Final Draft is a writing app that enables you to write and format screenplays for televisions. It enables you to collaborate with other people in real time.
- Allows you to store various versions of lines.
- It auto-fills commonly used locations and names.
- You can insert images on title pages.
- It enables you to write screenplays without using the keyboard.
- Eliminate distractions using night mode.
6) Evernote Web
Evernote is an application designed for writing notes. It helps you capture and prioritize your ideas, to-do lists, and projects across more than one computing device.
- You can move or remove the section of the page.
- It allows you to change the design of the paper.
- Erase unwanted strokes or marks.
- Enables you to highlight the color of the text.
- You can copy, cut, or paste selected shapes or strokes.
Supported Platform: Windows, iOS, Android, and Mac.
Scrivener is an ideal creative writing apps. It provides a management system for documents, metadata, and notes. This application helps you to organize and research the document for easy access.
- It highlights the phrases that you need to work.
- You can add comments and annotations.
- This software allows you to indent block quota.
- Make heading large and bold.
- You can import plain text files, and Word documents, PDF documents, and more.
Supported Platform: Windows, iOS, and Mac.
Microsoft Word is a writing app that helps you to transform documents into web pages. It offers a real-time translation facility with just one tap. This program enables you to read and edit documents attached to the email.
- Provides templates for resumes and forms.
- You can read documents, PDF, letters, and scripts on your mobile device.
- It enables you to save a document as a PDF file.
- Share your file with others with a few taps.
- Support editing with rich formatting.
- Manage permission for documents
- You can comment in the documents.
Supported Platform: Android, Mac, iOS, and Windows.
Calmlywriter is free writing software. The design of this program is minimal. This online application is design to help you to focus on your writing skills. It has a “focus mode” option that can highlight the paragraph you are writing.
- You can get the support of full-screen mode.
- It is simple to use.
- You can on or off typewriter sound.
- Supports syntax to format headers, bold, italics, as well as bullets.
- It allows you to use keyboard shortcuts.
- Spell check via a browser.
- It provides a word counter.
- You can export to PDF file.
Supported Platform: Web and browser extension.
10) JotterPad – Writer, Screenplay, Novel
JotterPad is an Android application that is designed especially for writers. It is one of the best writing apps which has a plain text editor helping you to write books, poems, novels, essays, etc. The tool enables you to focus on converting your thoughts into a plain text file.
- You can quickly search for phrases.
- Supports Markdown (Text to HTML conversion tool).
- It allows you to count words.
- This tool helps you to control the version of the document.
- Write or edit the text in the cloud.
- Print or publish your work to PDF.
- It has a built-in dictionary to search for words.
Supported Platform: Android.
11) Google Doc
Google Doc is an online application that helps you to format text and paragraphs. It is one of the best writing app that contains numerous fonts and images. This tool offers templates for writing documents. You can use the application to create and make changes in files anywhere anytime.
- You can access it from a Phone tablet or computer.
- You can make changes in the document in real-time.
- Supports chat and comment in the file.
- Convert Google Doc file to Word file or vice versa.
- You can search quotes, text, and images in the Google Doc Android app.
- Supports a wide range of add-ons.
Supported Platform: Web, iOS, and Android, and Mac.
12) Dragon Naturally Speaking
Dragon Naturally Speaking is software for speech recognition. This application allows you to talk, and your words will appear on the screen. It helps you to make documents without using a keyboard.
- It allows you to control your PC by voice with accuracy and speed.
- This tool is faster than typing text with a keyboard.
- It can be used by students, enterprise users, and professionals.
Supported Platform: Windows, Android, and iOS.
13) Ginger software
Ginger is one of the oldest writing enhancement tool. It will help you to correct text as you type, picking up many common grammatical errors like punctuation, sentence structuring, subject-verb agreement, writing style, and wording. Apart from the usual grammar, the checker offers a set of unique little features in it like text reader, translator, trainer, etc.
- Ginger software is well efficient Grammarly checker tool to detect misspelled words.
- It is one of the best writing app which helps you to correct all errors at once and also allows you to undo all changes with just one click.
- This program allows you to do the switching between US and UK English languages.
- Ginger punctuation checker helps you to check punctuation mistakes in your content.
- You can add your words to the personal dictionary to consider them as errors in the future.
- Identify document errors and correct them.
- Fast and effective spelling and grammar check.
- Help improve users’ English writing skills.
Supported Platform: Windows, iOS, Mac, and browser extension.
Readable is a word processor that helps you to test readability, grammar, and spelling of your text. It is one of the best writing app which supports integration with API into your content management software. You can paste your text into this tool, and it will give you instant analysis. It also recommends improvement.
- Provides readability score in a spreadsheet.
- It can analyze the quality of the text.
- This tool can check the density of the keyword.
- The application gives readability alerts.
- It provides team management facility.
- Readable allows you to share text, file scores, and websites.
Supported Platform: Web.
A draft is a tool that helps you to write a draft simply and easily. It enables you to control the version of the documents. This software allows you to import documents from a wide range of cloud services.
- Email your doc into the draft.
- It can assist you with transcription.
- Support Markdown.
- You can share your document with others.
- It allows you to comment on your writing.
Supported Platform: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
16) iA Writer
iA Writer is a text editor that gives users a clean, simple, and distraction-free writing experience. This tool can be used devices like smartphones, tablets, and more.
- Supports keyboard shortcuts.
- It can highlight the current sentence and word you are typing.
- You can connect to cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox.
- It has easy to use writing interface.
Supported Platform: Mac and Windows.
17) Writing Challenge
Writing challenge is a tool that provides an easy way to improve writing. You can write stories step by step. It helps you speed up your writing by adjusting the timer.
- This tool helps you to generate creative ideas.
- It provides many combinations to start your stories.
- This software offers an option to suggest in your story.
Supported Platform: Android, Mac, and iOS.
18) Ulysses (for Mac)
Ulysses is a tool that helps you to manage you’re your projects. It is one of the best free writing software which enables you to work anywhere, anytime. This tool helps you to transform the text into a PDF file. You can export text file HTML for use on the web.
- This software offers a clean and distraction-free environment.
- It helps you to enhance plaintext.
- Ulysses has a hierarchic group that enables you to organize your writing project.
- Collaboration, for example, with your colleague using Dropbox.
- Export text file to Markdown, HTML, or rich text.
- Publish stories to Medium and WordPress.
- Provides live preview to see how your output will look like.
- It has numerous styles and themes.
Supported Platform: Mac and iOS.
❓ What are writing apps?
Writing Apps are applications that help you to manage and boost writing stories, emails, ideas, social media posts, articles, and more.
✅ Which are the Best Writing Apps?
Here are some of the Best Writing Apps & Software:
⚡ Why use writing apps?
Writing apps are used because:
- They help you to make writing easier.
- It offers numerous writing styles, suggestions for grammar, vocabulary, syntax.
- Applications identify document errors and correct them.
⭐ What are the general features of writing apps?
The best writing software have the following features:
- Writing apps solve grammatical errors like punctuation, sentence structuring, subject-verb agreement, writing style, and wording.
- Export text file to Markdown, HTML, or rich text.
- It helps you to make writing easier.