IELTS is the most common English language proficiency test for global migration and higher education. It is mandatory for the candidates considering studying in a country where English is the main communication language. The full form of IELTS is International English Language Testing System.
Following is a handpicked list of Top IELTS Courses, with their popular features, pros, cons, and website links.
Best Online IELTS Preparation Courses (Free & Paid)
|Company||Magoosh IELTS||Udemy IELTS||Kaplan IELTS||BestMyTest IELTS||edX|
|Guarantee||0.5+ Band improvement guarantee||30-day money-back guarantee||Higher score guarantee||1-2.5 Band improvement guarantee||No|
|Student Support||Ask an Expert||Email support||Email support||Chat & email support||Email support & discussion board|
Magoosh IELTS program comes with the guarantee to improve your IELTS score by preparing with the most reliable materials. It contains the most recent material based on careful analysis of student responses that will help you learn fast and improve your chances of clearing the exam with a higher score.
It includes 125+ lessons and 600+ questions to prepare for the IELTS exam. This course offers tried and tested material depending on the analysis of student’s answers. It allows you to study from both desktop or mobile with ease.
Magoosh IELTS is fully supported by PC, Android, Mac, and iOS. It has a responsive team of tutors to solve your questions via email.
- It offers a personalized learning experience.
- Enables you to track your progress.
- It provides Performance analysis and score prediction.
- You will get tips for improvement.
- It has good customer review.
- Provides full-length practice test questions.
- Enables you to prepare for every section from video lessons.
- It does not offer live lessons.
2) Udemy IELTS
Udemy IELTS is a learning website that enables you to improve your performance and score with ease. It offers 157+ downloadable resources to prepare for the IELTS test.
This is one of the best IELTS online courses that can be accessed from PC and mobile. It has 20+ assignments to test your knowledge. It offers computer-based exam strategies and tactics to check your performance.
- Provides certification of completion.
- Offers live group class with reading, writing, and listening modules.
- This IELTS preparation course has time management strategies for score improvement.
- You will get certification for completion.
- Access course for lifetime.
- On demand video lessons.
- Excellent customer reviews.
- It does not have a proper explanation of core concepts.
3) Kaplan IELTS
Kaplan IELTS is online learning platform that offers video lessons to prepare for the IELTS exam. It contains 4 full-length practice tests and personalized score reports to monitor your performance. This course provides instruction for all sections.
It offers a live stream of your IELTS class taken by top teachers. It is one of the best IELTS online courses that can be accessed for 6 months. It provides you interactive content to learn all the IELTS topics.
- Experts are available 24*7.
- In-depth analysis of every section and personalized score reports.
- Provides a collaborative learning environment.
- Study all IELTS subjects online without any hassle.
- Compatible with mobile phones.
- Offers quality video material.
- It has excellent customer reviews.
- This course is expensive.
BestMyTest IELTS is online learning site that enables you to prepare for the test with in-depth lessons and targeted practice questions. This course covers English speaking and writing with feedback and communication from instructors.
It offers a mobile-optimized IELTS app that gives you the freedom to study on any mobile device. This is one of the best IELTS online courses that enable you to get a high reading, writing, and speaking score by improving your English language skills.
- You can prepare for the exam from any device.
- Offers full-length reading, writing, and speaking sections.
- Provides good customer support.
- Offers a wide range of practice questions.
- Easy grammar correction facility.
- Provides live instruction.
- The price of this course is high.
EdX is a learning course about the IELTS test procedure and format. It enables you to learn useful test-taking skills and strategies for IELTS Academic test.
EdX provides online help with courses from top institutions and universities. It enables you to improve your English language skills with no hassle. This is one of the best IELTS online courses that offer an instructor signed certificate to boost your job prospects.
- It offers 5 hours of video lessons.
- The course includes 3,000+ practice questions.
- It is a self-paced learning course.
- 8-week duration
- Easy student support in email.
- Effective to develop English reading, listening, writing, and speaking skills.
- It has good customer reviews.
- Helps you to learn useful test-taking strategies and skills for the IELTS academic tests.
- Limited access of course material.
❓ What is IELTS?
🚀 Which are the Best IELTS Online Courses?
⚡ How much time does it take to prepare for IELTS?
It is recommended that you spend at least 6-8 weeks preparing for the IELTS exam as you need to focus on grammar, reading speed, and writing skills. These parts differ from each other, and therefore, you need to ensure you fully understand them.
❓ Why take the IELTS test?
Here are the important reasons to take IELTS test:
- To take admission in International universities: IELTS qualification provides you a good opportunity to study in Canada, Australia, USA, UK, etc. You need to get a high score in order to take admission in your desired college.
- Good for your career: IELTS test is recognized worldwide and accepted by more than 10000 organizations in 140+ countries. A good result in IELTS exam will help you to accomplish your career aspirations.
- It covers American and British English: American and British English language have some differences. If you are attending IELTS exam, you need to know them properly. This test covers both languages, so you can choose any environment according to your desire.
- It’s accurate: IELTS exam mainly assesses your listening, writing, and reading. You can be assured that your results are a true knowledge of your English language abilities.
🚀 IELTS Scores Explained
IELTS test consists of 4 components 1) Listening, 2) Reading, 3) Writing, and 4) Speaking. The percentiles of each section are averaged and rounded to produce overall score.
Here are official descriptions of each IELTS scores:
|Band Score||Skill level||Description|
|9||Expert user||The candidate has excellent operational command of the English language. They use proper, fluent, and accurate English.|
|8||Very good user||The candidate has excellent operational command of the English language with occasional inappropriate use and unsystematic inaccuracies.|
|7||Good user||The candidate has operational command of English language with occasional inappropriate usage, inaccuracies and, misunderstanding. They can easily handle complex language and can also understand the reasoning.|
|6||Competent user||Test taker has an effective command of English language despite having inaccuracy and misunderstandings. They can understand and use fairly complex English language.|
|5||Modest user||Candidates have partial command of English language with overall meaning in most situations. They are also likely to make numerous mistakes.|
|4||Limited user||The basic competence of the candidate is limited to familiar situations. They often show a problem in expression and understanding.|
|3||Extremely limited user||The candidate understands and coveys only general meaning in familiar situations.|
|2||Intermittent user||Candidates have difficulty in understanding of both spoken and written English.|
|1||Non-user||Candidates do not have ability to use the English language except some isolated words.|
|0||Did not attempt the test||Candidate did not answer most of the questions.|
🏅 Can I retake the IELTS test?
Yes. IELTS test can be taken as many times as you desire. You can try giving the exam 4-5 times only in case to improve your first score. However, if you get a higher score on the first attempt, then it will be difficult to improve on the second take.
🌟 Are fee waivers available?
Fee waivers are available for the candidates having a low income to meet their financial criteria. Waivers include IELTS test and subject fees.
⭐ Are there accommodations for students with disabilities?
Yes. Accommodations are made in order to help students with disabilities, including extended breaks, visual and reading aid, and extended testing time. However, students need to apply for it as early as possible or before seven weeks of test date.
🔒 What does a higher IELTS score mean for you?
Universities require certain IELTS test scores for admissions. Your score determines the classes you take. For example, a low score will put you in low-level colleges, while a high score paves a path for admission in reputed colleges.
IELTS exam scores are also important factor for merit-based scholarships. It can be won from organizations and schools.
👉 Can an average student crack IELTS?
Yes, an average student can easily crack IELTS by enrolling in IELTS online prep course. However, if you want to make a good score in the exam, you need to study hard in order to get a good score.
💥 What is the Difference Between IELTS and TOEFL?
Here is a difference between IELTS and TOEFL:
|It is either a computer or a paper-based test.||It is a computer-based test.|
|Test duration is 2 hours and 45 minutes.||The test duration is 3 hours.|
|Speaking test involves real examiner.||Speaking test involves recording.|
|You need to book test at least 2 or 3 weeks in advance.||You need to book test at least 1 or 2 months in advance.|
💻 What is the difference between online and classroom IELTS prep courses?
Here is a difference between online and classroom IELTS prep courses.
|Parameters||Online IELTS prep courses||Classroom IELTS prep courses|
|Time freedom:||You can complete the target at any time.||You need to complete the target in a specific time.|
|Cost:||Online courses are cheaper than traditional classroom training.||The cost of learning classroom IELTS prep courses is expensive.|
|Personalized attention:||Personalized attention is difficult.||You will get personalized attention.|
|Better for:||It is better for remote students.||It is ideal for the student who wants to learn personally.|
|Topics:||It is good for a specific and concise topic.||It is good for collaborative topics.|
❗ What are the Tips to ace IELTS?
Here are tips to ace the IELTS:
- Read questions carefully: You need to read the question carefully and find easily eliminable answers.
- Reduce guesswork: Do not blindly guess. Always try to eliminate at least one answer which is incorrect.
- Reduce time on one question: You do not have to spend much time on one question. Read it and move to the next one if you are not sure about the correct answer. You can return later in case you cannot answer quickly.
- Carefully read multi-part questions: You need to be careful with multiple-part questions because a wrong answer might effect on the subsequent parts.
- Eliminate wrong answers: Read carefully and use the process of elimination to increase your chances of choosing the correct multiple-choice answer.
- Write a short summary with proper proof: You need to make sure you write a conclusion with proper proof. If you are writing essay, it is preferable that you end it in clear and simple language.
- Write short and precise answers: Do not write lengthy answers as it becomes difficult to read. You need to stick to the concise and precise answer.
- Focus on the IELTS books: You need to focus only on content written in the book.
- Divide your essay into paragraphs: You need to structure the essay in various small paragraphs.
- Check your strong and weak points: You need to find out your strengths and weaknesses and focus on building a strong overall skill set and eliminate weak points.
- Eliminate excessive use of calculator: Do not rely extremely on the calculator. It may slow down your speed of solving math questions.