Evernote is an application designed for note-taking, managing tasks, and archiving. It helps you capture and prioritize your ideas, to-do lists, and projects across more than one computing device.
However, Evernote is not without flaw as it does not handle encrypted notes. Further, if you want to export notes to HTML or text files, you should have some scripting knowledge.
Here is a curated list of Top tools that are capable of replacing Evernote. This list contains both open source(free) and commercial(paid) software.
BEST Evernote Alternatives/Replacement (Free/Paid)
|Features||✔️ Manage everything in one workspace
✔️ Set up in minutes
|✔️ One app to replace them all.
✔️ All your work in one place: Tasks, docs, chat, goals, & more.
|✔️ It supports more than 30 media types.
✔️ You can integrate more than 50 apps.
|Price||Starting from $10/mo.||Starting from $9/mo.||Starting from $4/mo.|
|Link||Learn More||Learn More||Learn More|
Monday.com is one of the best alternatives to Evernote. It offers a clean interface with color-coded features. This easy-to-use software is suitable for big or small teams. It also offers a user-friendly mobile app and highly customizable workflows.
- You can integrate it with your existing tools and get more things done in less time.
- It allows you to collaborate with your team in one shared workspace.
- Provides colored timelines and options to sync timelines with the calendar.
- It offers highly customizable workflows.
- Helps you to bring your team together, anywhere, and anytime.
- It provides a map view for location-based projects.
- It offers unlimited users and boards.
- Provides specific plans for businesses based on the number of users.
- Offers a Kanban-style visual layout.
- Allows you to handle complex projects.
- Provides services in multiple languages (English, Dutch, French, etc.)
- Adding the number of users costs you extra money.
- The subtask addition process can be difficult.
Pricing: Four Pricing plans: 1) Individual – $0 per month, 2) Standard – $10 per month, 3) Pro – $16 per month, 4) Enterprise/quote-based.
ClickUp is software that enables you to manage your task, docs, chat, goal, and more with ease. This evernote alternative allows you to assign and resolve comments to tasks. It helps you to set priorities of the work without any hassle.
- It allows you to filter and search for the desired task with ease.
- You can assign multiple tasks with just one mouse click.
- Helps you to share with anyone & set custom permissions.
- Collaborate efficiently with multiplayer editing
- Helps you to collaborate with other people.
- ClickUp enables you to sort tasks by project.
Notion is a note-taking, collaboration, and project management software that can be integrated with databases and tasks. This tool offers spreadsheets to keep a record of your work.
- It supports more than 30 media types.
- Tasks and projects are easy to manage using a calendar and list views.
- You can integrate more than 50 apps.
- It helps you to outline your idea and rearrange them in ascending or descending order.
- You can collaborate in real time.
4) Dropbox Paper
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative document-editing service. You can use it to collaborate with your team in real time, assign a task, and make to-do list.
- You can keep your team’s background docs, task assignments, and agenda at the same place.
- This alternative to Evernote tool enables you to annotate specific parts of an image.
- You can write down ideas in short, grab images, or give feedback on work on the go.
- This tool enables you to turn your document into a professional looking presentation.
- It takes follow up to complete the task.
Notejoy is a collaborative notes supplication. It is one of the best Evernote alternative helps you and your team to share ideas, getting feedback, threaded discussions as well as reactions.
- It enables you to capture images fast with copy and paste or drag and drop features.
- You can embed Microsoft docs, Google docs, videos, PDFs, and audio to notes.
- It provides syntax highlighting.
- You can compose notes with keyboard shortcuts.
- This tool supports Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
- You can customize themes, font, sidebar, etc.
- Notejoy enables you to search for text inside PDFs, images, Microsoft Office, and google docs via OCR (Optical Character Recognition).
Microsoft OneNote is a note-taking application that enables you to capture ideas on the go. You can share notes with other OneNote users over a network or the internet.
- It helps you to sort content across notebooks, pages, and sections.
- You can highlight notes with tag.
- This tool allows you to annotate your notes using a stylus pen or your finger.
- You can insert online videos, record audio notes, and add files.
- You can use this app to save content with a single click.
- It enables you to share notes with other peoples, you know.
7) Google Keep
Google Keep is a note-taking software application that is available on the web and has many mobile apps for iOS and Android operating systems.
- You can create notes, set reminders, and check your completed tasks.
- It enables you to add a collaborator to your lists and notes.
- You can draw on any photos.
- This tool better than Evernote allows you to search for notes by topics that are created automatically.
- Google Keep allows you to group notes.
- You can Color notes for easy scanability.
- It synced data automatically to your tablet, phone, laptop, and watch.
GoodNotes is a strong Evernote competitor. It is one of the best Evernote competitors that enables you to import Word, PowerPoint, and PDF files to annotate them. You can find handwritten notes, folder titles, document outlines, and typed text with powerful OCR support.
- You can write and sketch with your finger or a stylus on imported documents on digital paper.
- It enables you to personalize your notebook with templates.
- You can create a blank note with just a double tap.
- It supports drag and drop facility.
- This tool allows you to switch between vertical and horizontal scrolling.
- Goodnotes provides tabs that help you to switch back and forth between multiple documents.
9) Box Notes
Box Notes is a note-taking tool that is built for the team working together. Once you create a note and share them with others, it will be available on the web, mobile, and desktop.
- It can be integrated with more than 1,000 software providers.
- This tool helps your team to deliver intelligent digital business processes.
- It enables you to control encryption keys to ensure the privacy of business as well as data.
- Box supports GxP (Good Practice) validation.
- You can monitor your team’s activity.
Turtl is a place to keep your notes, passwords, ideas, documents, and photos safe. It does not store your key or password anywhere. This means only you and those you would like to share with can read data.
- It is one of the best free Evernote alternatives that uses high-end cryptography to protect your data.
- This tool enables you to search using tags or text.
- It supports TeXmath addon rendering.
- Turtl allows you to keep your profile backed up with import or export.
- Supports more than one transaction, including German, French, and Spanish language.
- An open-source server enables you to host your data written in Turtl.
Milanote is a tool to manage your projects and ideas into visual boards. It supports all common files, including PDFs, JPGs, Excel, Word, and more.
- It enables you to save text, links, and images from the web.
- You can add notes and photos from your mobile phone.
- This tool helps you to organize things visually in whatever way they make sense of the project.
- You can edit together in real-time.
- It allows you to invite anyone to view and edit your dashboard and download printable PDF files.
Simplenote is an Evernote alternative application that supports markdown application. You can use this app for iOS, macOS, Windows, Android, and Linux.
- You can easily find notes with instant searching and tags.
- It enables you to share a list, post instructions, or publish notes online.
- You can back up your notes when you change them.
- This Evernote replacement tool enables you to stay updated across all devices without pressing any button.
Squidnotes is a software that helps you to take digital handwritten notes for work or class. You can import any image or PDF to start or augment your notes.
- It enables you to create notes at any zoom level.
- This tool has a stroke eraser that helps you to erase entire letters and words quickly.
- You can change thickness and color of strokes of text.
- This free alternative to Evernote allows you to choose from numerous paper types and sizes.
- Squidnotes helps you to write naturally with pressure sensitivity.
- You can combine PDFs and insert pages in between.
Zotero is a tool that enables you to collect organize as well as share research. You can access it from Mac, Linux, and Windows platforms.
- It automatically senses research on the web.
- This tool enables you to sort items into collections and tag them with keywords.
- You can create bibliographies and references for any text editor, directly inside Word, LibreOffice, and Google Docs.
- It enables you to share Zotero library with as many people as you want.
- You can always stay in control of your important data.
Joplinapp is an open source to-do application. It provides searchable notes that can be copied, tagged, and modified effortlessly. This tool supports markdown tool rendering.
- It provides note history.
- This tool synchronizes with various services like WebDAV, NextCloud, Dropbox, and more.
- Your data is available on desktop and mobile applications without an internet connection.
- Joplinapp supports more than one language.
- It supports Markdown and Enex tool files.
- You can attach files to notes.
DEVONthink stores documents and helps you keep them organized. It can sync your data securely. This tool keeps all your documents in backup databases and presents them to you in a range of ways.
- It can scan paper documents and makes them searchable.
- This tool allows you to add smart rules to file documents and rename them.
- It enables you to filter your database by marks, dates, or tags.
- You can add annotations to any documents.
- Devonthink helps you to store the document in the database.
- You can sync data on all your Macs, iPads, and iPhones.
17) Day One
Day One is an app that tool that takes automatic backups to private servers and keeps data safe. It protects privacy with end to end encryption.
- It enables you to save your Instagram posts to Day One.
- You can add handwritten drawings or entries using your finger, stylus, or apple pencil.
- This app helps you to record stories and impressions with audio.
- Save any website in a click with Chrome browser and Safari extensions.
- You can easily find photos using search tags, favorites, and filters.
- Day One has an activity feed that enables you to see the changes you have made.
18) Bear Notes
Bear Notes is a flexible writing app for iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac. You can store all your notes in portable plain text. It is one of the best applications like Evernote that allows you to link notes to each other.
- This tool supports 20+ programming languages.
- It provides shortcuts to add styles to your text quickly.
- Bear Notes offers a range of export options, including PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPEG, and more.
- You can find and organize your notes using Hashtags without any effort.
- It enables you to review while writing.
- This tool automatically recognizes elements like links, addresses, emails, and more.
Boostnote is a tool that enables you to write notes for the Markdown app and code snippets quickly. You can sync your data to devices like Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- It provides customizable themes.
- Write or edit notes even you are offline.
- You can also set shortcut keys for easy writing notes.
WizNote is a team collaboration and knowledge management application. It is one of the best apps like Evernote that helps you to organize notes with the multilevel directories.
- It supports handwriting, voices, attachments, and photos.
- This tool groups folders and tags for organizing data in a better way.
- You can search shortcut of notes.
- Connect people with comments and editing.
- It supports a text editing tool called Markdown.
21) Zoho Notebook
Zoho Notebook software enables you to make, consolidate, save, and share important notes and ideas with others. It allows you to share a single image or selection of text from a page instead of the whole document.
- You can add sketch, recorded audio, and snap with Text Card.
- Swipe your card to know its details.
- You can pinch to arrange note cards into the stack.
- It enables you to choose the cover of a notebook.
- You can set reminders using voice commands.
- This app allows you to tag your notes.
- You can secure your notes with a password and Touch ID.
WhizFolders is an organizer and outliner for managing notes. It has drag and drops functionality to create, manage, and link notes with ease.
- It provides tree lists to manage notes by their titles.
- You can recover accidentally changed or deleted notes.
- This tool supports logical search with OR and AND.
- It allows you to insert tables, OLE objects, and pictures in your notes.
- Paste information from any website and its location will be automatically displayed for a reference.
- You can insert links going to external folders and files.
- Whizfolders helps you to export notes in RTF format.
❓ What is a Note Taking App?
A Note Taking app is an online notebook that helps you to take notes of various day-to-day office tasks. It helps you to stay focused on your work by reminding you about to-do tasks. It also helps you to manage tasks and projects using a calendar for better management.
⚡ How does a Note-Taking App Work?
A Note-taking app allows users to define various day-to-day tasks for projects in the office. Once defined, it alerts the user about each task with notifications, deadlines, task details, and progress. It also allows multiple users to work on a single project or task and collaborate within the software so that all the users working on the same project have a clear track of the progress.
👉 How to choose the Best Note-Taking App?
You should consider the following factors while choosing the best note-taking app:
- Easy to use and manage
- License Cost if applicable
- Support for multiple file formats
- Real-time collaboration
- Progress tracking
- Support for multiple platforms and browsers
- Customizations offered
- Integration with other software
💻 Which are the Best alternatives to Evernote?
Here is a list of some of the best alternatives to Evernote:
- Dropbox Paper
- Google Keep
- Box Notes
- Zoho Notebook