This training video describes the various stages in a bug aka defect life cycle and its importance.
Please be patient . Video will load in some time. If you still face issue viewing video click here
Video Transcript with Key Takeaways Highlighted:
- From discovery to resolution a defect moves through a definite lifecycle called the defect lifecycle
- Lets look into it. Suppose a tester finds a defect .The defect is assigned a status , new.
- The defect is assigned to development project manager who will analyze the defect.He will check whether it is a valid defect.
- Consider that In the flight reservation application, the only valid password is mercury. But you test the application for some random password , which causes logon failure and report it as defect .Such defects due to due to corrupted test data , miss configurations in the test environment , invalid expected results etc are assigned a status rejected
- If not , next the defect is checked whether it is in scope. Suppose you find a problem with the email functionality. But it is not part of the current release .Such defects are postponed
- Next, manager checks whether a similar defect was raised earlier . If yes defect is assigned a status duplicate
- If no the defect is assigned to developer who starts fixing the code. During this stage defect is assigned a status in- progress.
- Once code is fixed. Defect is assigned a status fixed
- Next the tester will re-test the code. In case the test case passes the defect is closed.
- If the test cases fails again the defect is re-opened and assigned to the developer
- Consider a situation where during the 1st release of Flight Reservation a defect was found in Fax order which was fixed and assigned a status closed
- During the second upgrade release the same defect again re-surfaced. In such cases, a closed defect will be re-opened. That's all to Bug Life Cycle