Crypto wallets are divided mainly into two types: hot wallets and cold wallets. Hot wallets use keys (a type of cryptography, like a password). They are created or stored on a connected device and are considered less secure compared to cold wallets.
A cold wallet is a cryptocurrency storage solution that is not connected to the Internet. They are also called Hardware wallets and use a physical medium — typically in the shape of a USB stick. It is considered the most secure type of wallet because it would require hackers to have access to your device and the associated PIN/Password.
Following is a handpicked list of Top Crypto Cold Wallet App & software, with their popular features, key statistics, and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) wallets.
Best Crypto Cold Wallets: Top Bitcoin Hardware Wallet Picks!
|Name||Purchase Cost||Exchange Incorporated||Supported Coins||Link|
|Ledger Nano X||$119||Yes||BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, DOT, LTC, TRX, EOS, XLM, ADA, etc.||Learn More|
|Trezor Model T||$195||Yes||BTC, ETH,USDT,ADA, XRP, DOGE, LTC, XMR, etc.||Learn More|
|CoolWallet Pro||USD$149.00||Yes||BTC, ETH, LTC, XRP, XLM, BNB, USDT, TRX, Tezos, Cardano, ETH 2.0, and ERC20 tokens.||Learn More|
|KeepKey||$49.00||Yes||BTC, DASH, DOGE, ETH, LTC, etc.||Learn More|
|Safepal S1||$49.99||Yes||BTC, ETH, XRP, LTC, XLM, TRX, DOGE, DOT, POLYGON, ADA, etc.||Learn More|
|Ledger Nano S||US$59.00||Yes||BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, DOT, LTC, TRX, EOS, XLM, ADA, etc.||Learn More|
|Keystone Pro||$169.00||No||BTC, ETH, Tether, XRP, Bitcoin Cash, Polkot, LTC, Kucoin, etc.||Learn More|
The Ledger Nano X is the second-generation hardware wallet from Ledger. It is a physical wallet that is the best crypto hardware wallet for a reason. You can manage, exchange, and buy your crypto on the go, as mobile users can use their wallets on their phones. Therefore, if you do not have your laptop around you, you can still trade effectively from your Android and iOS devices.
It has included Ledger Live software to check your balance and send and receive currencies. Ledger supports over 1,800 digital coins and tokens, so you are far from limited to Bitcoin. Ledger Live even supports coin staking, in which you can earn rewards based on your balance.
Dimension of this crypto cold wallet is 72mm x 18.6mm x 11.75mm, and its weight is around 34 g. Ledger Nano X are built on brushed stainless-steel plastic, and it also contains ithium-ion 100mAh battery. Its box content one hardware wallet, 1 USB-C to USB-A cable, 1 getting started leaflet, 3 recovery sheets, and one keychain strap. This crypto wallet allows access to all smart services – DeFi apps, NFTs, and more.
- It provides support for a huge number of digital assets
- You can have access to Ledger Live.
- Provides storage for between 3 and 20 different apps.
- Offers secure storage for a low price.
- It supports 1,500+ cryptocurrencies
- Device is mobile and computer friendly
- This crypto wallet provides Max storage of three apps
Exchange Incorporated: Yes
Dimensions & Weight: 72mm x 18.6mm x 11.75mm
Material: Brushed stainless steel and plastic
Supported Coins: BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, DOT, LTC, TRX, EOS, XLM, ADA, etc
Supported platforms: Windows 8.1, iOS 9+ and Android 7+
Trezor Model T is the second GL hardware wallets that allows users access to third-party exchanges, like Changelly and CoinSwitch, instantly from the Trezor internet interface.
This encrypted hardware wallet offers a touch screen feature that is easier for new cryptocurrency users to operate than its previous model. Dimension of this one the best cold wallet has 64 mm x 39 mm x 10 mm long, and its weight is around 22 g.
Its box content one Trezor Model T hardware wallet, 1 USB-C to USB-C cable, 2x Recovery seed card, Model T magnetic dock, and one keychain strap. It is one of the best cold storage wallets that comes with a 1 USB-C to USB-A cable that helps you connect either using a desktop computer or a smartphone if preferred over Bluetooth.
- Offers unlimited wallet storage
- Store your passwords safely.
- Supports more than 1,600 currencies.
- Network-isolated authentication.
- It provides supports for more than crypto 1,000 currencies.
- Ultra-secure offline storage
- Small touchscreen is difficult to type on
- Not highly secure Crypto Cold Wallet.
Incorporated Exchange: Yes
Dimensions & Weight: 64 mm x 39 mm x 10 mm (2.52 in x 1.54 in x 0.39 in) and Weight: 22 g.
Supported platforms: Windows (version 10 or newer), macOS (version 10.11 and higher), Linux, and Android.
Supported Coins BTC, ETH, USDT, ADA, XRP, DOGE, LTC, and support more than 18000 cryptocurrencies.
3) CoolWallet Pro
CoolWallet Pro is a DeFi-focused mobile hardware wallet that helps you connect easily to a device without requiring an internet connection via an encrypted Bluetooth connection with a 10-meter radius. It offers easy interaction with DeFi, Dapp, and NFT. Its body is tamper-free and completely water-resistant, and its lithium-ion battery offers a single battery charge that lasts several weeks.
This one of the best hardware wallets offers multi-layer cold storage security using its EAL6+ secure element (SE), AES256 encrypted Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and five processors to control its Power Management.
- It offers encrypted Bluetooth connections for both Android and iOS devices.
- Provide EAL 6+ certified Secure Element.
- You can track, view, and exchange crypto from your cold storage wallet
- It allows you to stake crypto through the wallet to earn rewards
- Encrypted Bluetooth connectivity
- Easy connection and integration to mobile device
- Offers very little choice for staking coins
Incorporated Exchange: Yes
Dimensions & Weight: 85.6mm x 54mm x 0.8mm
Material: Made of Metal body
Power: Lithium rechargeable battery (3 V, 15 mAh)
Integrations: DeFi, Dapp and NFT (e.g., Compound, Opensea)
Supported platforms: Android and iOS.
Supported Coins: BTC, ETH, LTC, XRP, XLM, BNB, USDT, TRX, Tezos, Cardano, ETH 2.0, and ERC20 tokens.
KeepKey is a secure Bitcoin hardware wallet that uses advanced technology. It is a pen-drive form of a hardware wallet that uses the same offline, cold-storage public and private keys. KeeyKey is protected by a personalized pin code that makes it completely secure against physical theft.
KeepKey was developed to operate with the ShapeShift currency exchange platform, making it easy to trade numerous crypto currencies safely. It is entirely open-source, so that you can check it on GitHub to cross-verify it. Inbox contains KeepKey wallet, A woven nylon USB cable, a Recovery phrase backup card, and Warranty information.
- Secure hardware wallet
- It allows you to generate and manage your private keys offline in cold storage,
- Adhere top-notch security standards.
- Offers attractive, professionally designed OLED display
- ERC20 Token Support (beta)
- It allows direct swap between cryptocurrencies within the software.
- Not a very portable device.
- Limited Number of KeepKey Supported Coins.
Exchange Incorporated : Yes
Dimensions & Weight: 0.59 x 0.29 x 0.16 in centimeters and weighs 53.3 grams.
Supported platforms: Windows, Android, Linux, Chrome OS, and Mac OS.
Compatibility: It is compatible with other cryptocurrency wallets like MyCelium and Electrum.
Supported Coins: Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, DASH, Dogecoin, Namecoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, and 30+ other popular cryptocurrencies.
5) Safepal S1
The SafePal S1 Hardware Wallet was launched two years back in 2019. It supports 19 blockchains and 10,000+ crypto tokens, including non-fungible tokens (NFTs). SafePal is one of the best cold storage wallets, which intends to provide crypto customers with a safe, simple, and easy-to-use crypto management solution.
You can also combine several operational and security elements, including recovery seed, two-factor authentication (2FA), pin code, which make it a safer option than most hardware wallets out there.
It is a stylish wallet with a clear screen but a dodgy keyboard. SafePal remains fully operational at a temperature of -4° to 158° F. The box offers SafePal S1, USB-A to Micro-USB cable, three recovery sheets, cleaning cloth, and one quick start guide. You can charge this cold crypto wallet with USB cable. It comes with a highly powerful 400mAh battery, and this device doesn’t provide any connectivity.
- EAL 5+ independent secure element
- Attractive price
- Offers multiple layers of security sensor
- Work on self-destruct mechanism
- Supported 32 blockchains and 30,000+ tokens till now
- 24/7 community support
- Not a very portable device.
- Limited Number of Supported Coins.
Dimensions & Weight: 8.6 x 5.4 x 0.6
Screen: 1.3″ IPS screen
Power: Charged with USB cable
Battery: 400mAh (Could endure 20 days based on 10 minutes daily use)
Supported platforms: Android and iOS.
Supported Coins: BTC, ETH, XRP, LTC, XLM, TRX, DOGE, DOT, POLYGON, ADA, etc.
The Ledger Nano S is the first GL crypto is one of the best cold wallet that Ledger introduced, and it is one of the first hardware wallets compatible with 1800+ cryptocurrencies. The Nano S does have enough storage to make wallets for a limited number of cryptocurrencies at a time.
The Ledger Nano S unit size is 104mm х 58 mm х 5mm, and its weight is 16.2g. It is made of brushed stainless steel and plastic material. It has a strong 100mAh battery. Its box contains items like 1 hardware wallet, 1 USB cable, 1 getting started leaflet, 3 recovery sheets, 1 keychain strap. Its USB cable type is Micro-B.
- Offers ledger Live app for maximum security and control over your crypto.
- Easy to use USB-Style Hardware Drive
- Simple and Powerful
- It supports more than 1,500 crypto coins
- Enables you to set a 20-digit recovery password
- Operation is not easy and can be complex for new users.
- Limited to 18 applications only
Incorporated Exchange: Yes
Dimensions & Weight: 104mm х 58 mm х 5mm, and its weight is 16.2g.
Material: Brushed stainless steel and plastic.
Supported platforms: Windows 8.1+, macOS 10.14+, Android 7+, and Linux.
Supported Coins: BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, DOT, LTC, TRX, EOS, XLM, ADA, etc.
Integrated with software wallets: Bluewallet, Electrum, Metamask, Wasabi, and Sparrow.
7) Keystone Pro
The Keystone Pro is an entirely air-gapped cryptocurrency hardware walletand comes with afour-inch touchscreen, open-source firmware, and fingerprint sensor. It offers PSBT Bitcoin to provideadditional security from malicious attacks.
Keystone is a hardware walletthat is BIP 32/39/44 compliant. You can integrate QR codes to sign transactions. It is one of the best crypto wallets that has reduced the risk of malware interruption and offers clearer and enhanced visibility.
Dimension Size of Keystone is 112mm x 65mm x 18mm Weight: 115 g. Its body is made of fiberglass, and it is a waterproof solution for storing your recovery phrase, made entirely of 304-grade stainless steel. It is inbox Contents: Keystone Pro, AAA battery holder, rechargeable battery, charging cable.
Keystone Pro’s wallet offers detachablebatteries that help you to avoid corrosion.
- It helps you unlock the device and sign transactions in public with the fingerprint sensor.
- Provides anti-Tamper Self-Destruct Mechanism
- Direct swap between cryptocurrencies integration within the software
- You can enter the backup with the help of a cipher.
- Offers recovery phrase backup card.
- It doesn’t support coin swapping like other hardware wallets.
Incorporated Exchange: Yes
Dimensions & Weight: Size: 112mm x 65mm x 18mm
Weight: 115 g (without batteries)
Supported platforms: Windows
Supported Coins: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether, Ripple, Bitcoin Cash, Polkot, LTC, Kucoin, etc.
❓ What is a Cold Wallet?
A cold wallet is a type of digital wallet that stores cryptocurrency offline. They are different from hot wallets because they do not have Internet connectivity. When a user creates a cold wallet, the first thing they should do is download an application to manage their funds. The software will generate a unique key that can access the wallet. This prevents hackers from accessing users’ funds because it is stored in the hardware device.
✔️ What are the Best Crypto Cold Wallets?
Following are some of the best Crypto Cold wallets:
⚡ What are the important Pros and Cons of Cold Crypto Wallets?
Here are some important pros and cons of Cold Crypto Wallets:
- Cold wallets are easy to use.
- They are secure.
- They do not require a computer or phone to be connected to the Internet.
- You cannot stake your crypto and earn interest
🚀 What are the diverse kinds of Cryptocurrency Wallets?
Here are some important types of Crypto Currency Wallets:
- Hot wallets:These wallets are created or stored on a connected device. Hot wallets provide high utility, but they are certainly less secure than cold wallets. They are also known as Software wallets.
- Cold wallets:These crypto wallets use keys created on a device not connected to the Internet. They are also called hardware wallets, and these crypto wallets are stored on physical storage devices. They are also know as hardware wallets.
- Hosted wallets:These wallets are live on another server that you can’t control. Hackers use these kinds of crypto wallets because they hold all the funds from the wallets on the server.
- Decentralized wallets:It is a highly secure crypto wallet that allows only one person to hold the keys. A decentralized wallet never gives any guarantee of complete privacy. However, it also means you just can’t depend on a 3rd party to send, receive, or store your cryptocurrency.
- Exchange Wallets: These kinds of Wallets are entirely integrated with crypto exchanges, and you can easily trade and do transactions with these wallets.
- Mobile Wallets: These kind of wallets are supported on Mobile OS like iOS and Android. You can control private keys and trade anywhere using these wallets. Coinbase, Binance, Cex.io are some of the widely popular mobile wallets.
- Desktop Wallets: Wallets that run on Desktop devices and allow users to have private keys.Atomic Wallet.
👉 What do you need to consider when buying a cryptocurrency Cold Wallet?
There are three things you need to consider when buying Crypto Cold Wallet:
- Safety – Safety is surely the highest consideration when dealing with crypto wallets, and we favored wallets with 2-factor authentication, biometrics, multi-signature support, open-source code, and robust security protocols for transactions.
- Features – Focus on the general functionality of each wallet. You should look for wallets with more tradable assets, live charts, staking and lending capabilities, and hardware wallet compatibility scores.
- Cost – The cost of a cold crypto wallet depends on the type of wallet. You should opt for reasonably priced cold and hot wallets with exchanges that charge less for processing transactions.
🏅 What is the main difference between a Hot Wallet and Cold Wallet?
A hot wallet is a digital wallet that stores your cryptocurrency in an online account. You can then use this wallet to make payments or send funds to other users, which means it’s always connected to the Internet.
Whereas cold wallet is a hardware device that is not connected to the Internet and uses software security measures to protect your cryptocurrency from being stolen. Cold wallets are often recommended for storing large amounts of cryptocurrency because they offer better protection than online wallets.
❗ Why should you secure your Crypto Assets?
Cryptocurrencies are very volatile, and prices can be altered quickly. There is a risk of losing all your investments due to cyber-attacks, hacks, and scams.
Here are some important steps which you need to take to secure your crypto assets:
- Keep your private keys safe and encrypted by storing them on an offline computer or external hard drive.
- When trading cryptocurrencies, always use exchanges that have been recommended by reputable websites. Here is our list of best crypto exchanges.
- You should never share your private key with anyone else because it gives them full access to your account, which could lead to loss of funds or identity theft if they decide to steal from you for any reason (i.e., fraud).