Smart TV is a next-generation TV that allows users to stream their favorite content, listen to music, browse the Internet, and access useful apps. However, there are some geo-restricted apps and content that you can’t stream and access from a specific region. This is where a VPN provider can help.
A VPN is an important tool to stream geo-blocked content on social media and many sites around the globe. In addition to this, a VPN masks your IP address anonymous and keeps your online activities hidden from your Internet Service Providers and other cybercriminals.
Many modern Smart TVs aren’t VPN-compatible. However, you still have some ways to install a VPN on your Smart TV. So, if you have decided to set up a VPN for Smart TV, we’re here to help you.
This guide contains the most authentic methods to set up a VPN on Smart TV.
Android TVs are usually VPN-compatible. So if you own one, you can set up a VPN right out of the box.
Here are steps to Set up a VPN for Smart TV with Google Play Store:
Step1) Open Google Play Store on your TV’s screen and search for your desired VPN Android Apps.
Step 2) Simply log in and connect your server to your location. Start configuration until the below screen pops up. Press Ok.
Now, you can unlock your favorite geo-locked app in no time.
However, you still don’t get access to region-locked apps; you may need to go deeper to find other alternative methods to complete this task.
The strategy mentioned above works only if you have an Android TV. However, the installation of a VPN varies from one smart TV to another.
Let’s assume your smart TV doesn’t install VPN directly on it. In this case, you need to take extra steps to do that by installing it on your computer and then connecting it to your Smart TV.
Here is the simple method to do this:
Step 1) Click the Windows logo, at the taskbar of your desktop screen.
Step 2) Click the settings and go to the Network & Internet button to open the VPN command showing on the left side of Windows.
Step 3) Click on the “Change Adapter Option”, at the bottom of your screen.
Step 4) Once you click on that, you will be able to see all your device connections. Right-click the VPN Connection and then left-click on the “Properties” button.
Step 5) Click on the sharing tab, and from there, choose Ethernet to share the connection via it. Turn your VPN connection “ON”
Step 6) Last step is to connect your PC and Smart TV using an Ethernet Cable. It will automatically connect the Smart TV to your desired VPN.
Once both devices are connected, you can unlock blocked content on your Smart TV just as you do on your PC.
For the users of Mac machines, the process to connect a VPN on Smart TV is slightly different from the Windows operating system.
Read on to explore the step-by-step guide:
Step 1) Install a VPN and then turn it on your Mac machine.
Step 2) Connect your Smart TV and your Mac via Ethernet cable.
Step 3) Some latest Mac machines need an extension of a USB adapter for accepting an Ethernet connection.
Step 4) Click System Preferences and go to Sharing button.
Step 5) Select Internet sharing and choose to share your connection from the option.
Step 6) Choose the Ethernet option from Internet Sharing since you’re looking for a way to connect your Mac and Smart TV via Ethernet.
Step 7) Lastly, connect your MAC device and Smart TV with an ethernet cable. Your Smart TV will be automatically connected to VPN.
If the Ethernet cable method doesn’t suit your needs, you can use your Wi-Fi connection to hook up your VPN on PC to your Smart TV.
Learn how to set up a VPN to Smart TV via Wi-Fi on your Windows PC:
Step 1) Install a VPN on your Smart TV.
Step 2) By clicking Network & Internet connection, you will see the Mobile hotspot option on the left side of your PC’s screen. Choose it.
Step 3) Edit your Mobile Hotspot with a new name and password and Save the details.
Step 4) On the tab, click on Share my internet connection with other devices.
Test the connection on your Smart TV and unlock your desired geo-restricted content.
Likewise, if you want to set up a VPN on your Mac to your Pc via Wi-Fi, you have to choose Wi-Fi options from the “To computers” using the option.
- Select a new password and now click OK to confirm.
- By clicking the status box, a confirmation box will appear. Click Start.
Now your Mac and Smart TV are both connected. Turn on VPN on your Mac to get access to your favorite content on your Smart TV.
If your Smart TV has a Tizen OS (Samsung TV), then you’ll need to install a VPN on your router. Once your router has a VPN, not only your Smart TV allows you to unlock any content, but all the devices connected to your virtual router can unblock the location-restricted content.
On the safe side, before installing a router, check the manual to know if your router is VPN-compatible or not.
Because there are different types of routers: a pre-flashed router, a VPN-compatible router, and a DD-WRT/Tomato router, installing a VPN might differ for each router category. However, the primary steps for installing a VPN to your routers remain the same.
The guide to install a VPN for Smart TV on the router includes the following steps:
Step 1) Create an account before downloading your desired VPN.
Step 2) Go to the Control Panel and click See all devices.
Step 3) Select your router option to select your router model and click download firmware and enable VPN passthrough on your router.
Step 4) Open the Windows command prompt to find your router’s IP address. Enter to confirm.
Step 5) Enter the IP address to your web browser to start the configuration.
Now your Samsung Smart TV and routers are connected. Enjoy streaming!
After getting to know how to establish a connection between a Smart TV and a VPN, you may need to learn about some of the best VPNs.
Let’s walk through to know some authentic VPNs for Smart TV in 2022:
ExpressVPN comes with over 160 server locations across 94 countries. Its super-fast speed and reliability make it one of the best VPNs for Smart TV.
It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Not Just that, ExpressVPN is also compatible with all types of Smart TVs such as Android, Samsung Smart TV, Roku, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, and NVIDIA Shield.
- Over 160 server locations
- Over 94 countries
- 8.34MB/s HTTP download speed
- WebRTC leak prevention
- Allows access to BBC iPlayer and Channel4
- No-logging policy
- Pricing: 1) Monthly subscription for $12.95 2) Yearly subscription for $8.32 ($99.95 total) 3) 6-months subscription for $9.99 per month ($59.65 for 6 months)
- Fastest speed
- Strict data encryption
- Military-grade data privacy and protection
- Works in China
- User-friendly interface
- It doesn’t offer an ad-blocker feature.
- bears a hefty price tag.
Faster streaming speed
Contrary to NordVPN, which simultaneously connects 6 devices, ExpressVPN can connect five devices at a time. Relatively few connections improve the overall speed of data streaming over ExpressVPN.
100% dedicated privacy
Unlike NordVPN, ExpressVPN uses the AES-256 protocol to hide your online identity. Coupled with this protocol, the Perfect Forward Secrecy feature of ExpressVPN takes your privacy to the next level.
NordVPN is a premium-quality VPN that has millions of users around the globe. If you want to keep all your internet activities anonymous and unblock your desired streaming services, NordVPN is the best choice. Apart from protecting your identity, it lets you stream faster and smoother.
- 5+ simultaneous connections
- 30-days risk-free money-back trial
- Ad-block feature
- 5300+ servers
- Accessible in 60 countries server locations
- Offers plugins for Firefox and Chrome
- Supports Wireguard
- Pricing: NordVPN packages are: 1) 1-year subscription for $4.99/month 2) 2-years subscription for $3.49/month 3) Monthly subscription for $11.99
- NordPass password manager feature secures your password
- Additional tools provide dedicated privacy.
- One of the fastest VPNs worldwide
- Great customer support
- DNS protection
- Comparatively expensive
- May slow down at times.
NordVPN is one of the highest-standard VPNs because it supports OpenVPN protocol to provide you with military-grade anonymity.
Dual VPN servers
NordVPN provides you with an extra layer of privacy since it uses two VPN servers. This feature is the multi-hop feature for any premium VPN.
CyberGhost is one of the best VPN software packed with many useful features. You can avail of its free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee offer so that you can check their service yourself.
CyberGhost offers lightning-fast speed and can connect up to seven devices simultaneously. The other benefit of CyberGhost is its Smart DNS feature which is hard to find anywhere else.
- Compatible with all types of OS
- 7600+ VPN servers
- over 91 countries around the world
- Connects simultaneously seven devices
- Around the clock live support
- 45-days money-back guarantee
- Add-0n features such as Split tunneling, ad blocker, password manager
- Pricing: its packages are: 1) Monthly subscription for $12.99 2) 1-year subscription for 4.29/month ($52.48 total) 3) 2-years subscription for 3.25 per month ($78 total) 4) 3-years subscription for 2.29/month ($89.31 total)
- ultra-fast VPN for streaming
- Efficient and reliable cybersecurity service
- offers a free email monitoring service to protect your content from any breach
- Supports WireGuard
- The largest VPN service
- it may show some lags when streaming Netflix to a New York-oriented server
- Slows down the overall speed of your Internet
From connecting up to 7 devices and different platforms such as Linux, macOS, Android, CyberGhost VPN works uninterruptedly with an unsurpassed speed.
CyberGhost retains your authentic anonymity by offering a zero-logs feature. CyberGhost offers secure encryption of all the content you access.
AtlasVPN offers strong encryption for your data and can unblock Netflix and many other geo-restricted apps on your Smart TV. Not just that, it comes with Wireguard protocol to make streaming lighting fast.
AtlasVPN comes with an ad-blocking feature for keeping your browsing activity ad-free. Its data breach checker ensures that your content never gets leaked off.
- 750+ servers across 37 countries
- A 30-day money-back guarantee
- Versatile features such as Wire Guard, AES-256 encryption, and kill switch
- Supports DNS system
- Ad-blocker feature
- Solid no-log policy
- Pricing: Its packages are: 1) a monthly subscription for $10.99 2) 1-year subscription for $3.29/month 3) 3-year subscription for $1.99/month
- Unblocks social media apps quickly
- Lighting fast download speed
- Connects unlimited devices simultaneously
- Not for unblocking US Netflix content
- Kill Switch feature has some lags
Its all-in-one feature of Atlas VPN blocks ads and malware to make browsing convenient and bug-free.
Unlimited bandwidth for a free version
Atlas free version is different from many reputed VPN providers because it gives you unlimited data and bandwidth. Without shedding a single penny, you can use its free version. Besides, it provides three server locations.
SurfShark VPN provides incredible speed, reliability as well as customer support. It has many features, but Unlimited connections make it superior to other VPN providers.
Not just that, it comes with 30-days money-back guarantee, which will allow you to check out their incredible service yourself.
- Over 3200+ servers around the world
- Offers split tunneling tool for increased security
- Offers Smart DNS service
- Add-on features like Surfshark Search and Surfshark Alert
- It includes IKEv2 protocol on all platforms, excluding Linux.
- Supports WireGuard
- Unlimited VPN connections at the same time
- Pricing: Its packages are: 1) Monthly subscription for $12.95 2) 1 year subscription for $3.99/month ($47.88 total) 3) 2-years subscription for 2.49/month ($59.76 total)
- Easy to use
- impressive speed
- Fast connectivity
- Connects unlimited devices simultaneously
- Relatively less economical
Just like NordVPN, Surfshark also supports multi-hop connectivity. This type of connectivity provides a double layer of privacy since it uses two servers instead of a single server VPN connection.
IP Vanish is one of the fastest and most reliable VPN service providers in the market. It comes with advanced encryption and Unmetered device connections that make the streaming even smoother.
- Over 75+ server locations around the world.
- Access to 2000+ servers worldwide
- Unlimited VPN connections at a time
- Ad-blocker feature
- offers Uncrackable security
- Zero Traffic Logs
- Pricing: 1) Monthly subscription for $10.99 2) Quarterly subscription for $14.99 3) 1-year subscription for $44.99
- User-friendly interface with customized settings
- Ultrafast streaming speed
- Strong data encryption and privacy
- Offer split tunneling on Android devices.
- It doesn’t offer multi-hop connections.
Regarding connectivity to unlimited connections simultaneously, IPVanish has higher performance. There is no limit to the devices you might connect to their premium service. Updating to WireGuard protocol has made it more powerful.
Keeping your online activity private has become a point of concern, and a VPN service comes in handy to keep all your online activities anonymous. So before choosing any VPN server, you need to keep the following things in mind:
Never trust blindly on VPN: This is crucial if you want 100% data encryption. Even though VPN offers security to save your devices from potential cybersecurity attacks, you still need Anti-malware software to keep your data secured and encrypted.
Many latest VPNs come with add-on features to protect your logins using a dedicated password application. Nonetheless, you still can’t put your safety at risk. So always use a secured password manager tool for keeping your anonymity.
Selecting the best VPN for your Smart TV is quite overwhelming since there are several choices to consider. However, it largely depends on your affordability, TV type, and content you want to watch.
Bear some pointers in mind before selecting the Best VPN for your Smart TV
- Cost: For starters, the best VPN is the one that offers a free trial. However, suppose you’re running software houses, and your online connectivity needs are more extensive than in that case, you might need to invest in a premium VPN service provider such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
- The best VPN for SmartTV is the one that keeps your online activity private and protects your data from shady cybercriminals. Also, the best VPN should unblock any geo-restricted content, and it should not cost you to cut your grocery expenses.
- Know your connectivity needs: A VPN that allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously may overwhelm you by slowing down the streaming speed of your content.
Many VPN services provide access to unlimited device connections simultaneously, and that’s why the definition of the best VPN varies from user to user.
- Reliable data privacy: You’re paying for a VPN because you want to make online streaming fun and accessible for you. However, if your primary concern is to mask your online streaming activity from your ISP, you must invest in a VPN that comes with higher security protocols and features. A VPN that supports WireGuard protocol is somewhat better than an OpenVPN.
Smart TV VPN FAQ:
❓ What are the factors to remember While Selecting a VPN For Smart TV?
While selecting a VPN for Smart TV, you should look for some key things:
Speed: What makes high-quality VPNs different from low-ones is the speed. The most authentic VPN service providers are lighting fast, making streaming content quicker and quicker. However, several VPNs are shady as they don’t provide stable access to content. So, a VPN with a higher speed is a more preferred choice.
Privacy: The second most important feature to look for in a VPN is to see if VPN guarantees military-grade security by providing no log history and IP hiding facilities.
User-friendliness: Checking the compatibility of a VPN before buying is very important. Moreover, every VPN comes with its user guides. Make sure you check out user guides and their official sites before getting your hands on the service.
Accessibility: Thankfully, some VPNs allow you to stream content from any part of the world. You should select the VPN that provides you access to unblock your desired content.
⚡ Why Should I Use a VPN for Smart TV?
Using a VPN for Smart TV has its benefits.
- It allows you to watch streaming content from a location where that content is restricted.
- It protects your IP address and keeps your online identity masked.
- Allows you to form a direct connection to another country’s server.
- One of the most important benefits that a VPN provides is that it saves you from Price Discrimination, and it means that you can buy a product based on your preferred country’s prices.
- When you shop online, buy a premium streaming service, or make any online transaction, the users can hack your credit card info. A VPN encrypts your online info and keeps cybercriminals far from you.
- Tired of getting tracked by the government or your internet service provider? Use a VPN to browse anonymously.
💻 Can I Use A Free VPN on Smart TV?
Yes, you can use a free VPN on your Smart TV with some extra caution. Since free VPNs typically don’t come with malware protection features and can corrupt your data and system. Moreover, free VPNs are generally useless as they have poor speed and make streaming an annoying task.
The best thing is to use a free version of a premium VPN service Provider to save the hassle.
❗ Which Apps Can I unblock With Smart TV VPN?
You can unblock any geo-restricted content on your Smart TV with the best VPN service installed on it. YouTube, BBC iPlayer, DAZN, HBO Now, Apple TV apps are the available apps many Smart TV users unblock with their VPNs.