What is Smart Identification in QTP?
- If the usual object identification process fails, Micro Focus UFT triggers Smart Identification, which is a more flexible mechanism for identifying objects provided it is enabled in Object Identification settings.
- Smart Identification uses two categories of properties
- Base Filter Properties. It contains the most fundamental properties of a particular test object class; those whose values cannot be changed without changing the essence of the original object
- Optional Filter Properties. Other properties that can help identify objects
HP UFT "forgets" the learned test object description and creates a new object candidate list containing the objects that match all of the properties defined in the Base Filter Properties list. QTP the Uses Base Filter Property to reduce the Object Candidate list. The idea is to narrow down only to one object matching the some or all of the saved description properties.
If smart identification is invoked during a test run, in the test results tree a warning message is generated indicating smart identification was invoked and a smart identification step is inserted.
How to enable/disable Smart Identification
How Smart Identification works?
Modify Object Property to Avoid Smart Identification
Video Transcript with Key takeaways highlighted
- You may have observed that smart identification slows down script execution which is not desirable
- To avoid smart identification, we can change the default object identification properties
- In QTP, Object Identification lets remove "name" from the mandatory properties and replace it with "HTML id" to make our test independent of name changes
- You can re-record the same steps for the script
- Now if you change the name from "Submit" to "Login" and run the script the script executes without any smart identification
- Similarly, in your application under test if any of the mandatory or assistive properties change frequently for an object you can replace it with some other suitable property to enable faster script execution
- Property tweaking is an experience game field and you will pick it up as you age with the tool