Proton VPN offers three plans: Basic, Plus, and Unlimited. Its Free/Basic plan allows users to test out the service before signing up for a paid plan. You can subscribe to their paid plan and claim refund under their 30-day money back guarantee.
You can also check out our guide to get a Free Trial for all top VPN Service
ProtonVPN free plan vs. Paid subscription plans: Difference between them
Here are the main differences between ProtonVPN Free, Plus, and Unlimited plans:
|Feature||ProtonVPN Free||ProtonVPN Plus||ProtonVPN Unlimited|
• €71.88 for one year (€5.99/month)
• €119.76 for two years (€4.99/month)
• €119.88 for one year (€9.99/month)
• €191.76 for two years (€7.99/month)
|Servers||100+ servers in 3 countries (USA, Netherlands, Japan)||1900+ servers in 65+ countries||1900+ servers in 65+ countries|
|Speed||Medium||Highest speed VPN||Highest speed VPN|
|VPN Connections||One device connection||Simultaneous connections up to 10 devices at the same time||Simultaneous connections up to 10 devices at the same time|
|Volume/Bandwidth||Unlimited Bandwidth||Unlimited Bandwidth||Unlimited Bandwidth|
|DNS Leak Prevention||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Kill Switch/Always-On VPN||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Encrypted VPN Servers||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Split Tunneling (Android and Windows only)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Proton Mail Access||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Proton Calendar Access||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Proton Drive Access||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ProtonVPN Plus Access||No||Yes||Yes|
|30-day Money-Back Guarantee||No||Yes||Yes|
How to Create a ProtonVPN Free VPN Account
Here are the steps to get Proton VPN free forever version on Windows OS or macOS:
Step 1) Go to the ProtonVPN website (https://protonvpn.com/) and click on the “Get ProtonVPN Free” button.
Step 2) To create a free VPN account provide your email address and a secure password. To confirm the email, ProtonVPN will send a verification code to the provided email.
Step 3) Now your free account signup is complete, press the “Continue with Free” button to avail the free plan trial.
Step 4) You will be directed to the downloads page. You can download the appropriate client for your preferred platform and begin using ProtonVPN’s free tier here.
Step 5) Install the app and launch it. Log in to the app using the credentials you created for Proton VPN free account in Step 2.
Note: Once Login the Proton VPN app, you can connect to any available server.
If you want to try a paid plan, you can choose from the available plans on the website.
How to get Proton VPN Premium Account: 30 Days Trial
Here are some quick steps to upgrade your ProtonVPN plan from Basic to Plus or Ultimate:
Step 1) Log in to your Proton VPN free account on their website, then click the “Dashboard” tab in the top menu.
Step 2) Under the “Your current plan” section, click the “Explore other proton plans” button.
Step 3) From the available plans in the “Select a plan” window, click on the plan you want to select. We recommend you choose the cheapest plan as you will eventually claim a refund.
How to avail of ProtonVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee
ProtonVPN offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee for users who wish to cancel their subscriptions and request a refund. Here are the steps for availing of the Proton money-back guarantee:
Step 1) Visit “Support form”.
Step 2) Fill out the form by entering the required account details or information as requested by customer support. You also, state your intention to cancel your subscription and request a refund.
Step 3) Proceed by clicking the “Send Support Request” button after providing the necessary information in the forms.
The Proton team will review your request and process the refund if it falls within the 30-day money-back guarantee period. The refund will be issued in the original currency of payment and in the original payment method used for the subscription. Refunds can only be requested once per user and will be processed within 14 days of the refund request.
Note: Keep in mind that accounts terminated due to a violation of ProtonVPN’s Terms are not eligible for a refund.
There are several other VPNs available that offer free trial versions and plans similar to ProtonVPN. Here are a few alternatives and their features:
- NordVPN: NordVPN is a well-known VPN service. The VPN provider boasts a wide range of servers with military-grade encryption and online privacy. Advanced features like Double VPN and CyberSec are also included. NordVPN permits up to 6.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN also offers 7 and 30-day free trial versions. It has an extensive server network, split tunneling, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It allows 5 devices connections simultaneously.
Limitation of refund policy
ProtonVPN’s 30-day return policy does, however, have some limitations, such as
- ProtonVPN’s refund policy is only valid for the first 30 days after a user purchases a premium package. After this time, refunds won’t be given.
- Only new account subscribers are eligible for a full refund policy. Individuals are not qualified for another refund if they have already received one for a prior subscription.
- ProtonVPN may be unable to issue refunds for certain payment methods or cryptocurrencies.
- The processing time for refunds at ProtonVPN can take up to 14 days, so it might take some time before users receive their money back.
- ProtonVPN’s free plan is a great way to test its features and decide if it’s the right VPN.
- It’s important to note the features of the free plan and be aware of its limitations.
- You can upgrade the free version to a paid plan to avail yourself of premium features.
- If it doesn’t meet your requirements, you can also request a refund within 30 days of purchasing.