NordVPN vs. ExpressVPN
Comparing NordVPN vs ExpressVPN, both are well-known and popular VPN providers. Here are the key differences between NordVPN and ExpressVPN:
|Country||Panama||British Virgin Islands|
|Server Locations||59 countries||94 countries|
|VPN protocols:||It uses VPN protocols like OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), NordLynx, and IKEv2.||It uses VPN protocols like OpenVPN (UDP/TCP), Lightway, and IKEv2.|
|Pricing:||NordVPN price for one month is $11.95.||ExpressVPN price for one month is $12.95.|
|RAM-only servers:||It does not have RAM-only servers.||ExpressVPN has all RAM-only servers.|
|Browser extensions||Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox.||Browser extensions are available for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Brave, and Vivaldi.|
|Advanced features:||It has advanced features like kill switch, double VPN, dedicated IP, ads blocker, and NordLynx protocol.||It has advanced features like a kill switch, smart DNS, and split tunneling|
|Total number of servers:||Total number of servers: 5000+.||Total number of servers: 3000+|
|Link||Learn More||Learn More|
What is NordVPN?
NordVPN is a Virtual Private Network software for an anonymous and safe browsing experience. It does not track, collect, or share your private data. It is available for Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and Linux. This VPN enables you to enjoy a fast connection without buffering. You can use it to have secure access to messaging platforms, streaming websites, and social media sites.
What is ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN is a Virtual Private Network service that secures your Internet browsing against three-letter agencies and scammers. It offers unlimited access to music, social media platforms, and videos. This VPN application does not log IP addresses, browsing history, DNS queries, or traffic destination.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Logging and Privacy
Comparing both NordVPN and ExpressVPN, NordVPN and ExpressVPN both have good privacy credentials. They offer secrecy of session through the use of a unique key. These two applications can block Domain Name System leaks (security flaw). However, ExpressVPN runs its own 256-bit encrypted DNS on all the servers.
NordVPN has some noticeable features like a double VPN system and Onion over VPN (privacy solution). But unfortunately, this application it is not good for use as its server was hacked previously.
NordVPN offers a couple of features that are not available in ExpressVPN. These functionalities are used by numerous users.
ExpressVPN logs a very minimal amount like date of connection and choice of server. This information does not put you at risk. It also does not store any other data.
NordVPN application uses an open-source protocol with WireGuard. On the other hand, ExpressVPN has opted for a self-developed Lightway protocol that is not being used by anyone else. The problem with this protocol is that it is not integrated into the kernel like WireGuard is with Linux.
Both VPNs have clear and simple to understand logging policies. Therefore, these Virtual Private Networks services have good transparency.
Here is the important difference of security and encryption features between ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
|NordVPN uses SHA2-384 HMAC authentication and AES-256-GCM with 4096-bit DH key for encryption.||It uses SHA-512 HMAC authentication and AES-256-GCM with 4096-bit DH key for encryption.|
|VPN protocols used by NordVPN are OpenVPN TCP, IPSec/IKEv2, IPSec/L2TP, OpenVPN UDP, and WireGuard.||VPN protocols used by ExpressVPN are OpenVPN UDP, IPSec/IKEv2, IPSec/L2TP, and OpenVPN TCP.|
|This software is available on macOS, Android, Windows, iOS, and Linux.||This application is available on macOS, Windows, Linux, and router. You will not find this feature on iOS.|
|It has a malware/ad blocker.||It does not have a malware/ad blocker|
|Does not provide Onion over VPN servers.||Provides Onion over VPN servers.|
|It offers dedicated IP addresses.||It does not offer dedicated IP addresses.|
|NordVPN utilizes traditional server technology, which writes encrypted data to the hard drive.||ExpressVPN utilizes TrustedServer technology that means servers run on RAM, and no data is written to hard drives.|
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN Speed
The speed of VPN is crucial to connect servers in a specific country. Here, both providers performed well. Both VPN are making proprietary protocols available for their users.
NordVPN and ExpressVPN both offer consistent low ping. These applications work well for gaming and do not have latency during gameplay.
Both NordVPN and ExpressVPN offer protection against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks. These attacks are common in gaming and often occur when one player tries to overload the server of a challenger. You can use both VPNs to stay safe from these attacks and therefore causing no problem to gamers.
Overall, ExpressVPN and NordVPN deliver fast connections that are more than capable of matching domestic lines.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN with Netflix and Streaming
The use of VPN is getting increased to access geo-blocked streaming services like Netflix and YouTube. However, the plus point of this VPN is that it can unblock BBC iPlayer.
Comparing NordVPN vs ExpressVPN, ExpressVPN provides 24/7 access to streaming services like Netflix but only for fewer regions like Japan, USA, and UK, While NordVPN supports 14 different Netflix libraries. They are: 1) US 2) UK 3) Canada 4) Germany 5) France 6) Italy 7) Netherlands 8) Spain 9) Japan 10) Australia 11) India 12) Brazil 13) South Korea and 14) Finland.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Torrenting and P2P
Torrenting without using a Virtual Private Network exposes your IP address to everyone. VPN is a safety solution for you in torrenting activity.
ExpressVPN and NordVPN both offer good P2P functionality. But ExpressVPN supports P2P sharing on all its servers and has no bandwidth restrictions. It offers a hassle-free kill switch feature that is useful when your Internet connection drops.
On the other hand, NordVPN does not support P2P on every server. However, it can detect the torrenting person and will switch you to a server that supports it with no hassle.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Plans, Pricing, and Trials
NordVPN is affordable compared to ExpressVPN, especially for long-term subscriptions. NordVPN price for one month is $11.95, while ExpressVPN is $12.95.
The price of NordVPN for 1 year is $4.92. The same for ExpressVPN is $8.32 for 12 months. This comparison shows that NordVPN is cheap.
The difference table below shows the clear comparison of other plans, pricing, and trials between ExpressVPN and NordVPN.
|It offers three plans for 1 month, 1 year, and 2 years.||It offers three plans for 1, 6, and 12 months.|
|NordVPN offers a free trial on limited devices.||Get ExpressVPN free trial for 7 & 30 Days|
|The long-term plan available in NordVPN is only for 2 years.||The long-term plan available in ExpressVPN is for 1 year.|
|The Money-back guarantee is 30 days.||The Money-back guarantee is 30 days.|
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Mobile apps
It is a big concern to stay safe when you connect on public Wi-Fi, especially for the people who often use public transport or works in cafes. This need can be fulfilled with VPN mobile apps.
The application of NordVPN is powerful and provides you full-featured functionality available for Android as well as iOS devices. This application supports the NordLynx protocol, which makes it a good standout feature.
ExpressVPN application is also well-featured with the availability of a selection of protocols and a clear layout. It is easy to operate ExpressVPN on your tablet or mobile than on your desktop.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Features
ExpressVPN and NordVPN applications offer good features to users. However, there is a big difference in this category.
ExpressVPN offers the basic VPN service. It provides you a user-friendly VPN app. The main feature you have to consider while using ExpressVPN is the split tunneling option. This will enable you to route several apps over an unencrypted Internet connection.
Following screen shows a Split Tunneling of ExpressVPN:
As you can see in the following screen, NordVPN also offers the same feature:
NordVPN offers servers for different use cases. This functionality is lacking in ExpressVPN.
NordVPN has the following features:
- Double VPN server: It encrypts network traffic over two hops. This feature can be used without sacrificing on speed.
- Tor over VPN server: It encrypts your network traffic with Tor network. It also offers useful features like performance tradeoff.
- P2P servers: These servers are optimized for torrenting traffic with ideal speed.
- Obfuscated servers: These servers conceal VPN traffic to look like regular encryption. This is a feature to utilize if you require a VPN for China or any other restricted situation where these applications may be blocked.
NordVPN has some other useful feature called CyberSec. This functionality can block trackers, phishing domains, and ads from infecting your device.
It is easily enabled directly in the NordVPN app as shown in the following screen:
NordVPN is a good choice to block unwanted advertisements and malicious websites. The big advantage with CyberSec is that it works for your entire operating system when you turn on the VPN. However, you will not be able to see such features on ExpressVPN.
One more good feature of NordVPN is the implementation of WireGuard protocol
Here are the benefits of NordVPN WireGuard:
- It provides instant connection of servers in any country.
- Performs seamless transition between two networks, like switching from WiFi to 4G.
- You will get a better battery life of a mobile device.
- NordVPN WireGuard offers fewer dropped connections.
NordVPN has more impressive and useful features compared to ExpressVPN. Therefore, it is preferable that you use it.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Support
ExpressVPN and NordVPN both have good customer support. Both offers live chat and email facility on their sites. It has a staff with knowledgeable experts. However, ExpressVPN is faster to connect.
NordVPN Vs. ExpressVPN: Jurisdictions
Both ExpressVPN and NordVPN have good privacy jurisdictions:
NordVPN in Panama: Panama is not a member of 14 eyes countries.
- 14 Eyes Countries: 1) US, 2) UK, 3) Canada, 4) Australia, 5) New Zealand, 6) Denmark, 7) France, 8) Netherlands, 9) Norway, 10) Belgium, 11) Germany, 12) Italy, 13) Spain, and 14) Sweden.
It is generally a good offshore jurisdiction that is safe from European and US influence.
ExpressVPN in British Virgin Islands: The British Virgin Islands has good jurisdiction. The BVI is not a member of 5/9/14 eyes countries surveillance groups.
- 5 Eyes countries: 1) US, 2) UK, 3) Canada, 4) Australia, and 5) New Zealand.
- 9 Eyes countries: 1) US, 2) UK, 3) Canada, 4) Australia, and 5) New Zealand, 6) Denmark, 7) France, 8) Netherlands, and 9) Norway.
It is a free and independent country. ExpressVPN has its own judicial and legal system, despite the historical ties to Britain.
ExpressVPN Vs. NordVPN payments options and refunds
ExpressVPN provides support of a vast range of payment options like credit cards, Bitcoin, PayPal, and more.
NordVPN provides the same facility, but it provides more cryptocurrency options like Ripple and Etherium. This is a major advantage of NordVPN over ExpressVPN.
ExpressVPN Vs. NordVPN: Which is better?
The following summary table describes which VPN is better.
|Logs and Privacy:||Tie|
|Netflix and Streaming:||NordVPN|
|Payments and Refunds:||Tie|
❓ Why are VPNs used?
Here are the advantages/pros of using VPN:
- Provides unrestricted access to a wide range of streaming content and services.
- VPN servers prevent hackers from stealing your personal information as it is encrypted.
- VPNs work on multiple devices therefore, you are not restricted to watch streaming services only from computers like Macs or Chromebooks.
- VPN-friendly phones, Smart TVs, and tablets provide you more choices to watch content online.
⚡ Are VPNs Safe?
Yes, VPN is the safest and strongest way to mask IP addresses. It enables you to effectively hide your IP without any hassle. VPNs have good security features that keep you anonymous while surfing the Internet. Virtual Private Network opens the areas of the Internet that are blocked due to geo-restrictions.
🏅 Does Windows 10 have a VPN?
Yes. Windows 10 has a built-in VPN feature. You can use it to create VPN connections and schedule your computer to auto-connect to VPN.
🚀 Has ExpressVPN or NordVPN ever been hacked?
There are very few reports of ExpressVPN or NordVPN ever been hacked. Both VPNs have no leaks, privacy scandals, or data breaches. Moreover, These Virtual Private networks do not log any identifiable data.
❗ Can NordVPN be tracked?
The no-log policy of NordVPN depicts that it does not track your IP addresses, servers, and websites you have visited or downloaded. Further, it does not record any duration of your online session.
👉 How to test your VPN is working?
Perform the following steps to test your VPN:
- You need to confirm that your VPN is not leaking any personal information.
- Test that the kill switch is working properly. This can be done by enabling a kill switch while connecting to any server using VPN. If the Internet connection stops, then your kill switch is properly working.
🔒 Is it legal to use a VPN?
It depends on the country in which the VPN is used. Every country has different rules and regulations about using VPNs. Some countries allow using a VPN, while some countries do not allow using a VPN at all. However, if you are using a VPN in a country which allows using a VPN, you should still read the terms and conditions of the VPN before using it.
💻 Which NordVPN servers work with Netflix?
NordVPN servers that work with Netflix are the ones that are located in UK, Canada, Germany, US, Japan, Italy, Australia, and France. You can use the Netflix library that can be accessed with any of these NordVPN servers. Some of the famous servers that work with this streaming site include #2497, #3656, #837, #2032, #466, #196, #601, and #522.
❓ How to install ExpressVPN on Firestick?
ExpressVPN has launched application for FireTV and Fire TV Cube. This lightweight app can unlock geo-locked video streaming services and hide activity from Internet Service Providers.
Here are the steps to install ExpressVPN on Firestick: a
Step 1) Download and install ExpressVPN app in your TV.
Step 2) When the installation completes, open ExpressVPN.
Step 3) Sing in to ExpressVPN app.
Step 4) Complete the configuration and setup VPN connection.
Step 5) Connect to the nearby ExpressVPN server. The VPN will remain connected in the background while you use other applications.
⚡ Does NordVPN or ExpressVPN run obfuscation servers?
Obfuscated servers are specialized servers that hide your private information using VPN to reroute your Internet traffic. They allow you to connect to Virtual Private Networks even in a heavily restrictive environment.
Both NordVPN and ExpressVPN allow users to access obfuscated servers to increase online privacy. This function is built into the applications for both services.
🏅 Do you need to keep a VPN on all the time?
VPNs are a good choice to stay protected while surfing the Internet. Therefore, you should leave it on all the time to prevent data leaks and cyber-attacks. VPNs encrypt all the data passes to your network. Therefore, it is impossible for the IPs and governments to see your personal details.
❓ Can VPN mess up your Wi-Fi?
Yes. VPN can slow down your Internet speed. In some cases, it reduces speed by 50%. However, it does not shut down your Internet connection.
🚀 What are the types of encryption protocol?
VPN Encryption Protocol is a set of processes and instructions between the server and the client. It is used to make a secure online connection.
Here are the types of encryption protocol:
- OpenVPN: It is an open-source Virtual Private Network solution that is used to create a fast and secure connection using SSL or TLS. It utilizes AES-256-bit key encryption with 160-bit SHA1 and 2048bit RSA authentication.
- PPTP: PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol) is one of the oldest VPN protocols that is designed specifically for dial-up connections. It delivers fast data speed without requiring strong encryption.
- SSTP: SSTP or Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol is one of the popular protocols that is fully integrated with every Microsoft OS.
- L2TP/IPSec: Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol is a protocol developed by Microsoft and Cisco. L2TP/IPSec does not offer encryption or privacy itself, but it relies on other tools of the IPSec suite for encryption.
- IKEv2: IKEv2 or Internet Key Exchange version 2 is a widely used VPN tunneling protocol that provides a secure key exchange session. It is a mainly used protocol for mobile devices.
❗ What are the factors that affect your Internet speed while using a VPN?
Here are the factors that affect your Internet speed while using VPN:
- Bandwidth Throttling: Internet Service Providers often share your bandwidth with different networks causing your speed to throttle. Moreover, they may put some limits on downloads like P2P file-sharing or large files.
- Your Connection Speed: It shows the speed at which you can connect to the Internet.
- Server Location: Virtual Private Network with physical server locations all over the world will always provide you stable connection wherever you are. You will get a good Internet speed if your VPN service provider has servers in your nation or neighboring one.
- VPN speed limit: Many VPNs offer limited speed than they provide, such as 15mbps to 50mbps. It does not matter your Internet speed.