6 Best VPN for China | Tested & Working in Aug 2021 (FREE)
China has placed numerous restrictions on accessing the Internet. It prevents using social media, email, streaming sites, etc. This could impact your privacy, therefore it is good practice that you use a VPN for China to access any website.
VPN helps you to protect your privacy while surfing the Internet. It unlocks numerous websites and provides you with a secure browsing experience.
Following is a handpicked list of Top VPN that works in China with their popular features and website links. The list of best VPN in China contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best Free VPN Server for China: Top Picks
|Name||Speed||Security & Privacy||Best Price (Monthly)||Unblocks Streaming Sites?||Supports P2P?||Link|
7) Hotspot Shield
❓ What is the best strategy to use a VPN in China?
You can perform the following techniques to use VPN in China:
- Subscribe to multiple VPNs.
- Download and install the VPNs before you visit China.
- Troubleshoot your VPN connections.
- Keep only the working VPN and unsubscribe/claim refund for the non-working VPN.
This strategy allows you to troubleshoot your VPN connection before you arrive in China. VPN software may not work due to antivirus software, firewalls, company intranet restrictions and other technical challenges not related to the VPN software itself. So when actually arrive in China you will be sure that the VPN is working if selected from the above list.
⚡ Are VPNs legal in China?
Yes, you can use VPNs in China. This country does not have any laws on utilizing virtual private networks, therefore, anyone can use them without any hassle.
🚀 Why you need a VPN?
Here are the advantages/pros of using VPN:
- Provides unrestricted access to a wide range of streaming content and services.
- VPN servers prevent hackers from stealing your personal information as it is encrypted.
- VPNs work on multiple devices therefore, you are not restricted to watch streaming services only from computers like Macs or Chromebooks.
- VPN friendly phones, Smart TVs, and tablets provide you more choices to watch content online.
🏅 Are VPNs safe?
Yes, VPN is the safest and strongest way to mask IP addresses. It enables you to effectively hide your IP without any hassle. VPN have good security features that keep you anonymous while surfing Internet. Virtual Private Network opens the areas of the Internet that are blocked due to geo-restrictions.
❓ What sites are blocked in China?
Here is a list of websites that are blocked in China:
- Google Apps (For example, Calendar, Docs, Hangouts, Maps, etc.)
- New York Times
- Facebook (and Messenger)
- Wall Street Journal
👉 How to unblock Google, YouTube, and more in China?
You can use VPN that works in China to unblock Google, YouTube, and more websites. It is good that you use clients or apps for a specific platform like desktop, TV streaming, mobile, etc.
You just need to open VPN, choose a server location, and turn on. Your device will pretend like you are surfing the Internet using the server available outside of China.
❗ How does China block VPNs with the Great Firewall?
China has built a nationwide firewall to keep track of every session created by device across the country. It blackholes (anti-spam technique) websites via Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). BGP was designed to allow routers to work in an efficient way. It enables you to know the total number of resources that are available to use.
Most of the VPN providers have server networks blackholed in China.
✅ Can I bypass the Great Firewall without a VPN?
VPNs are a good solution for bypassing the Great Firewall. You can also use Tor, with an advanced configuration facility.
You can also use SOCKS proxy, which is an Internet protocol that routes your Internet traffic through a third-party server via TCP. It assigns you a brand-new IP address so that the web host cannot find your physical location.
🚀 How can I access Google Play in China?
Perform the following steps to access Google Play in China:
Step 1: You need to select VPNs you would like to use from the above list.
Step 2: Download and install VPN software on your device. You will find that most of the VPN services offer compatibility with popular operating systems.
Step 3: Log in with credentials and connect to the VPN by choosing the locations available.
Step 4: Access Google play store as normal.
💻 Is my social media monitored in China?
Yes. China monitors its domestic and international social media platforms like QQ, Douyin, Weibo, WeChat, etc. It checks each person's profile, shared files, posts, and messages. This social data is combined with biometric data, video surveillance footage, and shopping histories.
The authorities in China have made it hard to be anonymous online. You need to enter real name when signing up for any social media platform. It is good that you connect to a VPN for sending private messages.
⚡ Is the Internet censored in Taiwan and Hong Kong?
China has claimed sovereignty over Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. The good thing is that the Great Firewall does not affect in these places. It is preferable that you use a VPN to protect your Internet privacy.
However, privacy in Hong Kong is increasingly threatened by national security laws that may prevent VPN use. If you are in China and searching for information online about Taiwan, then the Internet can be censored.
🏅 What are the Best VPN for China?
Here are the best VPN to use in China:
- Hotspot Shield
🔒 Are VPNs safe for torrenting?
Yes, VPN can help you to keep you anonymous and safe when you are torrenting using P2P. If you do not use VPN, then your IP address may be exposed to a third party, and your physical location can also be tracked.
A reliable VPN helps you to encrypt and hide your Internet traffic. Therefore, you can torrent as much as you like with no hassle.
💻 How does a VPN work?
VPN directs all your Internet traffic through one of its servers and encrypts it. Therefore, your ISP no longer sees the website that tracks you. Your VPN server forwards your traffic to a site you are visiting.
The best Virtual Private Network uses a wide range of servers and updates IP on a regular basis. This will prevent the website from blocking or blacklisting them.
❓ Will a VPN slow down my device?
Yes, VPN may slow down your device slightly. This happens because your connection is routed and encrypted through a VPN server. It takes a longer time for the data to reach a destination.
If you choose a good VPN service provider, your speed will not be affected dramatically. Therefore, you will not notice that your connection is slowed down.
🚀 Can you get in trouble for using a VPN in China?
Yes, the country may not be happy about the use of VPN software. This will put a restriction on accessing the services and websites. However, China has not made any laws on using authorized VPNs, so you can use them according to your need.
❗ Are VPNs hard to use?
The best VPNs are very easy to use therefore, you just need to download, install, and launch the appropriate app for your device.
The VPN services have a user-friendly interface that can be easily used by the beginner. The VPN software offers quick connect button to instantly connect to a nearby server in the location of your choice.
👉 Can I use Tor or a Proxy instead of a VPN?
Yes, Tor and Proxy are software can serve the same purpose as VPN. Tor protects you by bouncing your communications around a distributed network.
The Onion Router or Tor has the following disadvantages compared to VPN:
- Takes time to load the homepage.
- It blocks some web services.
- This IP blocker software reduces bandwidth speed.
Proxy services have one good advantage over VPNs. They offer good speed to surf the Internet.
However, Proxy services have the following drawbacks:
- It does not have security features
- A proxy does not encrypt your data.
- It has no interface.
These drawbacks show that proxies are not secure and hard to use. However, if privacy is not a concern for you, then they can increase your connection speed. You can find numerous proxies, but it is important that you choose the right one. It is preferable that you invest in a cheap and fast VPN that gives you privacy and protection with great speed.
⚡ How do I choose a good VPN for China?
Here are the important selection criteria to choose a VPN for China:
- Fast Speed: VPNs in China can be slow, and therefore, it may be hard to stream video online. You need to first try out the VPNs. If the server speed is good, then you can simply buy it.
- Large server network: It is good that you choose a VPN having more proxy servers at multiple locations. This will provide you enough choices to locate server locations.
- No traffic restrictions: Many VPNs block P2P networks and movie streams. This will also restrict your downloading bandwidth per month. It is crucial that you go for VPNs that do not have such limitations.
- Zero-logging policy: If your VPN does not have a zero-logging policy, it is potentially harmful to your privacy. You need to make sure that a virtual private network must not store any information that belongs to you.
- Kill switch: This is an important security feature that helps you to instantly disconnect from the Internet. Kill switch can keep your IP address and identity secure. It is ideal that you check such a feature before choosing a China VPN online.
- Capability to bypass the Great Firewall of China: It is one of the most advanced security systems. It is highly challenging to bypass the Great firewall. You should be able to access devices, servers, and websites with no hassle after using VPN.
- Ease of use: VPN software should be user friendly so that you can easily get stress free experience. It must be easy to install without having technical knowledge.
🌟 Which VPNs are not working in China?
Here are the VPNs that are not working in China:
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost is a tool to unblock websites and enjoy your favorite content with no hassle. It is one of the best IP blocker software for streaming as well as bypassing geo-restrictions. This program helps you to surf the Internet anonymously without any restriction.
- IPVanish: IPVanish is an IP address blocker application that provides end-to-end encryption environment for your network. It offers the fastest virtual private network service for a variety of smartphones. This app helps you to protect your web browsing, file sharing, and video streaming.
- ZenMate: ZenMate is a free VPN that offers strong encryption to secure network traffic and hide your IP address. This VPN is available for Chrome, Firefox, Opera browser, and operating systems like Windows, Android, etc. However, like CyberGhost and IPVanish, this VPN software will not work for China.
⚡ What is the difference between Paid and Free VPNs?
Here is a difference between paid and free VPNs:
|Parameters||Free VPN||Paid VPN|
|Number of VPN servers||Generally, up to 5-7.||Generally, more than 40.|
|Monthly traffic volume||Limited||Not limited|
|Technical support||Low or no support.||Quick support 24/7.|
|Data encryption||Less secure||Strong|
|Server location||Offers insufficient options||You will get a vast range of server options|
|Data transfer limit||Limited data transfer.||Unlimited data transfer.|
❓ Can I get a free China VPN?
Yes, you can get a China VPN online, which is available for free. It is good for infrequent and casual use. Chinese VPN that are free have a monthly data limit that will cut your VPN connection when it is over. It can also inject advertisements and may sell your data. Therefore, it is good that you choose paid versions of VPN.
👉 How does China block VPNs?
China government is becoming stricter over the use of a VPN. This country allows you to use only a few virtual private networks. However, they have to be the Chinese government approved.
Here are the techniques used by China to block VPN:
- Blocking VPN websites: VPNs helps you to protect your privacy and information online. However, some websites violate those rights by blocking VPN in China.
- URL Filtering: It is a technique that limits access by comparing your traffic from accessing the VPN. China VPN server also blocks websites containing some suspicious words.
- Blocking VPN Servers: If you are using a VPN, your PC or phone needs to interact with the server's IP. It is given to you by your virtual private network supplier. This is not troublesome to track for the Great Firewall. Therefore, your VPN application will not work in order to interact with the server.
- Deep Packet Inspection: This is a further developed strategy that can block a VPN. It can identify and block specific data packets encrypted by the VPN protocol.
- DNS Poisoning: Your PC contacts DNS server to demand particular IP when client PC interacts with websites. The firewall here attempts to harm DNS restrictions, and therefore, you cannot access any website.