A Content Management System(CMS) is a software application or a set of related programs to create and manage digital content. It allows users to create, manage, and modify content on a website without having specialized technical knowledge.
CMS also helps you to build your own system for creating web pages, storing images, and other functions. The content management system handles all the basic infrastructure stuff for you, which helps you to focus on more important aspects of your website.
Following is a handpicked list of Top CMS Software with their popular features and website links. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Best CMS (Content Management System)
|WordPress.com||Blog||Starts at $4/month||Learn More|
|Wix||CMS||Starts at $12/month||Learn More|
|Drupal||CMS + eCommerce||Free||Learn More|
|Shopify||eCommerce||Starts at $29||Learn More|
|Magento||eCommerce||As per requirement||Learn More|
|Squarespace||Blog||Starts at $14/month||Learn More|
|BigCommerce||eCommerce||As per requirement||Learn More|
|SharePoint||Internal Corporate Websites||Starts at $5/month.||Learn More|
|Weebly||CMS + eCommerce||Free||Learn More|
WordPress is the world’s most popular open-source and free to use CMS. It started as just a blogging platform, but it has been added features significantly over the years, and today, it is emerging as the complete content management software.
- You can design multiple pages with no coding skills using Page Builder plugins.
- Option of WordPress hosting or self-hosting.
- Helps you to create webpages for multiple functions for your blog.
- This one of the top content management systems offers Backward Compatibility.
- WordPress Plugins comes with excellent unofficial support other than the main help document.
- WordPress offers a simple addition of posts or pages on the site.
- Hosts offer WordPress installation using cPanel with very few clicks.
|You can design complex pages with no coding skills using Page Builder plugins.||Lack of built-in flexibility for more significant, sophisticated sites.|
|Largest community helps you to find the right themes and plugins.||WP core requires a frequent update, which may break your existing plugins.|
|Ability to create beautiful webpages for multiple functions, including advanced SEO|
|WordPress Plugins comes with excellent unofficial support other than the main help document.|
|It offers a simple addition of posts or pages on the site.|
Wix is easy to use, beginner-friendly drag-and-drop website builder. This web editor tool allows you to drag-and-drop elements anywhere you want in any web page. With Wix’s help, the entire process of web building becomes smooth, simple, and fast.
- It helps you to optimize for mobile use.
- Wix provides a secured shopping cart.
- Easy tracking for every order.
- Provides services like inventory and order management
- Offers feature for send & manage invoices.
- It has abandoned cart recovery feature
- Customer login/member area
- Offers multilingual stores
- Track traffic with Google Analytics
- Integration with Square POS
|Offers photo galleries for showcasing your store products.||You cannot change the template easily.|
|Wide range of responsive and eCommerce-designed templates.||The loading speed of Wix is not ideal.|
|It comes with large numbers of templates filtered in many categories.|
|It provides free hosting and the freedom to make your store look exactly the way you have imagined.|
|Powerful design and SEO tools.|
|Integrated Wix HTML5 editor for customizing every page|
|No coding skills needed with a drag-and-drop builder|
Joomla is another popular CMS that allows you to build a website and many different business-oriented online applications. It runs smoothly on various web servers without any issues because it is easy to use and is a highly extensive free to use CMS tool.
- It allows you to choose when articles are published.
- Joomla is suitable for blogging websites.
- Add extra functions to your content in a single click.
- It offers a perfect balance between ease of use and complexity of functionality.
- Edit content without any knowledge of code.
- This is one of the best content management systems that offer a user-friendly admin interface.
- Templates are available free of cost and can be applied with one click.
|Joomla offers a very easy to use admin panel to manage large amounts of information.||Offers very less customizable options for features and functionality.|
|It allows you to preview the configuration before installation starts.||Plugins do not always play well together, so you need coding knowledge to fix them.|
|In Joomla, the host offers installation using cPanel, requiring no technical knowledge.|
Drupal is an open-source web development platform for creating an online content management system and user communities. You can set up the Drupal CMS platform from a simple blog to a large corporation’s content portal.
- Helps you to create Panels, Views, and Web forms
- A website developed using Drupal CMS is more secure as compared to other CMS platforms.
- Some excellent developers are available for support.
- Enables you to manage complex, multi-domain management.
- This is one of the best content management systems that offer access to thousands of modules and themes.
|Drupal offers modules with attractive options for customizations.||The setup process is very time-consuming and lengthy if you are using a lot of modules.|
|This Blogspot software offers easy to understand and clean core code.||Extension updates are not always compatible with the backend.|
|It helps you to manage complex, multi-domain management.|
|Allows you to customize every aspect of your experience.|
|It allows you to edit root files using a variety of plugins.|
Shopify is the best website builder around. This web builder tool offers a rapidly growing service that now powers over 800,000 online shops. It provides best pricing plans. It provides a free trial, which allows you to check the various functionalities of this web builder tool.
This Content management system allows you to sell your products and services online. It is one of the easy to use online store builders that allows you to add an unlimited number of products directly from the dashboard.
- Stores are mobile-friendly.
- Manual order creation.
- Real-time shipping calculations supported with more carriers.
- More than 100 professional themes.
- Enterprise expansion is available via Shopify Plus.
- Incorporate product star ratings & reviews.
- Extensive order fulfillment & shipping capabilities.
- Integration with Amazon Marketplace.
- Powerful built-in blogging platform.
- Unlimited file storage on all plans.
|It provides excellent performance and a great uptime guarantee.||Several limitations for bigger online stores so it is not best suitable for enterprises.|
|Shopify offers free hosting, so you do not need to create hosting account and then uploading your products.|
|Plans include website builder features of Shopify themes.|
|Developers can quickly build on the platform with the help of API.|
Magento is an e-commerce platform. It provides online merchants with exceptional flexibility and control over the content, looks, and functionality of their e-commerce store.
- Supports reporting and analytics.
- This is one of the best CMS that allows product and catalog browsing.
- This is one of the best content management systems that offer a feature for site management.
- Various types of marketing promotions and tools
- International Support
- Magento is an expensive solution, so the installation cost is extremely high.
|Magento offers an abundance of out-of-the-box features that help you to operate your business.||Magento is an expensive solution, so the installation cost is very high.|
|Magento is a mobile-friendly platform to develop a mobile website without any difficulty.||Magento is a layered software. Its complicated architecture makes the process of designing the site difficult and time-consuming.|
|This CMS allows you to modify the code, customize templates, and develop the functionality exactly the way you want.|
Squarespace is a website builder tool that is known for its professionally designed templates. This tool offers Squarespace software that combines hosting, templates, themes, e-commerce, CMS, and technical support in one solution.
- Modern design templates.
- Adjust the styling of your sites along with fonts, colors, and page configurations.
- Easy to use editor interface.
- Customizable content layouts.
- This CMS software allows you to add your personalized CSS and other coding.
- This is one of the best CMS that supports Social media Integrations.
- The drag-and-drop blog editing interface.
- Option to create private blogs.
|Design and image-focused templates.||You cannot edit sitemaps and other XML files.|
|Allows you to host e-commerce websites.||Sub-pages are exceedingly difficult and could create maintenance issues.|
|Modern design and beautiful in its simplicity.|
|It helps you to create a beautiful website without knowing any code.|
- This CMS software is one of the best free online stores that allow you to build your site on WordPress with a full back-end platform integration.
- You can preview before publishing.
- Multi-channel selling capabilities.
- Get more traffic with customizable, SEO-friendly URLs.
|It allows you to use a free domain name from BigCommerce.||Offers limited themes and integrations which may hold you back from using a third-party service to grow your business.|
|You can use digital wallets like PayPal, Apple Pay, and Amazon Pay, or you can pay by credit or debit card to make payments.|
|Live chat, email, phone support, community support, and more.|
SharePoint is a Microsoft app having third-party tools and online hub for building web applications. SharePoint CMS is a simple content management system that is part of a SharePoint site.
- Ability to follow people, sites, tags, and documents
- Company or organization feeds
- For group sharing and collaboration, provides use of @ and hashtags.
- Complete integration of social features with Windows Phone 7 and 8.
- New site definition for communities and many promising features like moderation, discussion, membership, etc.
- Security and document activity updates in the feed
|Facility to follow data integration with the consolidated feeds web part||Hard to maintain and use.|
|Complete integration of social features with Windows phone 7 and 8.||Poor social elements of an intranet.|
|Provide a Preview of files and documents straight into the news feed.|
Weebly is easy to use drag-and-drop website builder. This tool offers 50 customized templates that help you to create a customized blog for your business. It allows you to change the blog template easily.
- Weebly offers a free plan for a limited period, which allows you to try it out on a small scale before paying.
- Offers built-in easy to understand SEO guides.
- Unlimited levels of the navigation hierarchy.
- Fancy header with slideshow or video background.
- Integrated video or audio player
- Password-protected pages.
|Offers plenty of responsive themes.||Sometimes the platform can be glitchy and needs to refresh.|
|This CMS has plenty of stylish themes with different page layouts for other uses.||Detailed customization in the HTML is possible but one should have coding experience to do that.|
|Weebly offers a robust and easy-to-use shopping cart with SSL encryption and all major payment options.|
11) HubSpot CMS
HubSpot is all in one platform for marketing, customer service, and sales hub. It helps you to convert leads, grow traffic, and track your entire marketing funnel in one place. This CMS also allows you to create and share email templates.
- It provides a drag-and-drop facility to build web pages, landing pages, email templates, and blog posts.
- You can connect with your prospects through live chat available on the website.
- It supports HubSpot CRM, Google calendar, and Office 365.
- You can get a notification when someone opens an email, download an attachment, and more.
|Offers built-in A/B/n testing to optimize your content.||The mobile version needs improvement.|
|Provide SEO recommendations to rank in Google search results.||Creating workflows can get tricky and confusing.|
|Contact attribution to analyze where leads and sales come from.|
|It offers 24/7 support if you need any help.|
|Easy and quick to use.|
|Allows integration with other apps.|
Ghost is another important CMS platform specifically designed for bloggers. It is described as a headless CMS. This means that the CMS platform never forces content to be delivered in a specific way.
So, the content which you produce can be shown on a website and it can be also published to a mobile app or something else entirely.
- Lightweight and minimal
- Based on modern technologies
- Easy to customize and create themes
- Perfect for blogging only
- Membership management
- Hundreds of integrations available
- User role management
- Good documentation
|It allows you to add special characters around words to make them bold, italic, etc.||CMS platform designed just for blogging, so some users feel it has become overly as it offers paid subscriptions for your site’s readers.|
|Ghost has a content editor that uses cards.|
|Great support for SEO (built into Ghost.|
|This CMS is well set up for charging for content. Therefore if you want to run an online magazine or publication that people pay for, you can do this easily.|
Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows users to create and maintain their websites. It offers various functionality and design tools. It works seamlessly and you do not need to buy, install, and manage separate applications to develop your web page.
- The drag-and-drop blog editing interface.
- Allows raw conversion.
- Option to create private blogs.
- Web feed options.
- Link editing in Composed mode.
- Offers country-specific blogger addresses
|Blogger is easy to get started with blogging.||To build a website, the blogger is not the best CMS platform.|
|You do not need to install, update, or pay for hosting.|
|Blogger offers a generous amount of space. So there is no limit on how many posts you can have per blog.|
PrestaShop is an e-commerce solution with all the features you need to create an online store and grow your business. It offers a mobile-optimized platform, which allows you to select between various eCommerce store themes.
- It allows you to share your content on social networks and your blog to attract more visitors.
- Prestashop platform allows you to build your online store in several different languages and currencies; your business has no borders.
- You can select colors, logos, and designs from a selection of professional-looking themes.
- It helps you to manage store products, orders, customer relationships, and track your statistics.
|Highly customizable with some coding knowledge.||Add-ons can get expensive.|
|Offers plenty of third-party extensions.||Limited demo site|
|Self-hosted, full control of server files.|
Contentful is the API-first content management platform to create, manage and publish content on any digital channel. It is one of the best headless CMS tool that helps you to query using RESTful API. As it is headless CMS, so you will need some technical knowledge to implement it.
- It helps you to unify content so it can be edited from a single hub.
- This is one of the best headless CMS that can be used in any digital channel.
- Integrate with hundreds of leading-edge tools for translation, segmentation, eCommerce, and more.
|Contentful provides organized, flexible data models with support for a variety of data types and content editors.||Does not provide documentation for entry-level coders.|
|Great built-in versioning features with history and draft states, so it is easy to make updates and revert when needed.|
|It has an intuitive user interface and good support for multiple spaces.|
TYPO3 is a free enterprise-class CMS based on PHP. It one of the most popular CMS options globally, which is predominately used in Europe and other regions.
It is very flexible, so companies of all sizes looking to scale can use this CMS platform. However, it comes with a hefty learning curve, and it is not the most user-friendly CMS on this list.
- Great pick for enterprise-level sites.
- Includes support for multilingual websites.
- Allows you to manage multiple sites from a single installation.
- It makes it possible to share data and tools among your websites
|TYPO3 includes more than 9,000 out of the box features which you can use directly.||Modularity and expendability means bigger demands on server parameters.|
|TYPO3 provides built-in security features, compliance tooling, and regular updates.||Typo3 is not easy to install and set up.|
|The system offers several thousand extensions that can be quickly and easily installed.|
|Elastic administrators system.|
|Typo3 allows for the creation of many elements like static HTML with dynamic content in it.|
17) Kentico CMS
Kentico Xperience is an award-winning digital experience platform. It combines content management, digital marketing, and commerce. This is one of the best headless CMS for modern websites.
- Translation Management
- ASP.NET MVC Support
- Multi-site management
- This one of the best headless CMS that offers personalized experiences.
- It integrates seamlessly into any technology stack.
- Provides document management
- Web farm support
|Offers easy-to-use interface||Email marketing features of Kentico are not user-friendly.|
|It offers an extensive set of features as well as incredible tools for customization.||No chat support present.|
|It provides up to fifty percent more out-of-the-box functionalities.|
|It offers 24/7 support from numerous different locations.|
dotCMS is one of the best open-source headless CMS. It offers a fully secure, scalable, and fully customizable CMS Cloud. It helps you to scale across your organization quickly and easily.
- Future-proof Content Management System
- It has an Edit Mode Anywhere feature that provides business users with WYSIWYG editing, layout, navigation, and multi-site management.
- Static and dynamic content publishing are supported
- Offer the flexibility to deploy on a public or private cloud
- Offers mobile device preview.
|DotCMS is a developer’s sandbox that offers many features and custom content types, and flexibility.||Does not offer a free trial.|
|It is an ideal CMS for an enterprise environment.|
|Seamless integrations with CRMs, eCommerce, AI platforms, and more.|
|Mobile device preview.|
Grav is a lightweight CMS that uses a flat-file architecture. That means you do not need a separate MySQL or similar database to use Grav. Everything is stored in one single file on your server.
- Open-source with MIT license
- Functions without a database management system
- You can extend with themes and plugins
- It is a pre-configured package that already contains sample websites.
|It is one of the best CMS platforms to install and set up since you only need to unzip and go.||Only suitable for smaller projects.|
|It helps you to simplify the process of backing up your CMS.|
|Allows you to extend the functionality with more than 300 plugins.|
Silverstripe is a highly customizable and extensible CMS. This CMS tool comes with a framework and CMS, and it can be customized to perform any feature imaginable.
- Super flexible & extensible
- It helps you to start quickly and deliver your content to your users fast.
- Enterprise-level security and support.
- It has hidden a power and functionality that developers can customize.
|This CMS Framework is created from the ground up to be easy to use and customize.||A fairly small following, meaningless information is available online.|
|It is optimized to produce a highly reusable code.||Not as many modules are available as WordPress.|
|Offers powerful frontend template engine.||Lack of documentation.|
Umbraco is the ideal CMS for highly customized and unique applications. It allows you to access some of the highest tier plugins and software packages available for. NET platform.
- Flexible CMS – you can customize and manage your content your way
- Offers intuitive editing experience
- Band system and component picker
- Simple multilingual management
- Offers best hosting for your website.
- Easy-to-use form builders
- Open source and well-documented API
|Media handling, image scaling.||Integrate a minimum continuous integration/continuous deployment functionality|
|Back office usability.|
|Allows you to use MVC framework.|
|You have multiple options for building content.|
concrete5 is an open-source CMS for publishing content on the World Wide Web and intranets. This is one of the best CMS tools that are designed for ease of use for users with a minimum technical skills. It enables users to edit site content directly from the page. It offers version management for every page. This CMS allows users to edit images through an embedded editor on the page.
- Helps you to generate forms for typed content with auto-save and drafts
- Easy theme controls
- Media manager
- Layouts retain responsive grid points.
- Drag and drop content
- Automatic add-on update notification
|Simple installation||File sorting is a bit complex so searching for files can be frustrating sometime.|
|Easy to install from concrete5 marketplace through site dashboard||Does not offers autosave feature to back up your work.|
|1000’s of add-ons at your fingertips.|
|One-click version update.|
|Core supported add-ons.|
Bynder is a CMS with million plus users around the world. It provides creative branding, and marketing features. It helps professionals to accelerate the creation of video and other content and get the right assets to the people and systems that need them, and ensure brand compliance.
Bynder is used by brands like Spotify, Puma, TED, and Five Guys to get content and campaigns to accelerate the end-to-end creative content lifecycle.
- Great collaboration tools
- Easy to create shareable style guides
- Ideal for marketing
- Digital asset management
- Offers creative workflow
|User-friendly interface, clean and easy to navigate, which has helped with adoption and training to feel empowered to use the portal.||Does not offers many much customization options.|
|Offer customizable filters – particularly helpful for locating specific photos quickly.|
|Safe and secure web-based storage frees up tons of space on your Google drive or server.|
❓ What is a CMS Platform?
A Content Management System(CMS) is a software application or a set of related programs to create and manage digital content. It helps users create, manage, and modify content on a website without specialized technical knowledge.
🚀 Which are the Best CMS Software?
Below are some of the Best CMS Software & Program:
🏅 How to Choose the Best CMS Platform for Your Website
Here are some important factors which you should remember while selecting the best CMS platform for your website.
- Content editor: CMS software is made for easy content creation and management, so naturally, an easy-to-use content editor is a key factor to consider.
- Design flexibility: You should opt for CMS, which provides a large variety of templates and designs.
- Customization: It is essential to have a CMS that helps you to adapt the look and feel of your content to fit your brand style guide.
- User Management: Set permissions and manage users can help give the right people access to essential tools, yet also restrict certain features to certain managers or other executives.
- Integrations: It should be able to integrate with your existing marketing technology stack.
- Support: Having reliable customer support or a wide knowledge base for your CMS can be beneficial not only to you and your problems but also to your time management.
- Pricing: Every CMS has some pricing plan. Some are free and open source. However, you will need to pay to host them. While in some others, you just need to purchase the software and start using it.
- SEO: It is important that your chosen software gives you the tools to rank in Google and other search engines.
- Personalization: For business use cases, select the best CMS which allows you to create personalized visitor experiences. It should also help you to improve your marketing and conversion rates.
- Security: With some CMS tools, you’ll be responsible for your site’s security, while other tools handle it for you.
👉 Do I need a CMS to start a blog?
Yes, a blogging platform is a type of CMS which allows users to publish their content. There are many different blogging platforms available. Some popular CMS to start your blogging are WordPress, Weebly, Blogger, etc.
❗ Why Use Web Content Management Software?
Web CMS systems are unique in their ability to create front-facing websites for an organization to attract current or potential clientele. Some CMS software does not require any coding. Web CMS can be used to solve a variety of problems frequently encountered by digital marketers.
What is headless CMS?
Headless CMS is a type of CMS software that helps you to manage all of your content on the backend. Then, you can build your own frontend by querying data via an API.
A headless CMS needs plenty of knowledge to implement but gives you more flexibility for how and where you use your content.