Windows Movie Maker is a powerful and easy-to-use video editing application for Windows operating system. It offers many useful features like video effects, titles, timeline narration, and audio tracks.
However, Movie Maker has a limited number of video editing tools. It offers only one video track to add. Therefore, you cannot perform complex video editing using this tool. There are many other options available in the market that can easily replace Windows Movie Maker.
Here is a curated list of Top applications that are capable of replacing Windows Movie Maker. The list contains both open source (free) and commercial (paid) software.
Alternatives to Windows Movie Maker: Free & Paid
|Name||Video Effects||Supported formats||Link|
|Adobe Premiere Pro||Yes||AVI, MPE, MPEG, MP4, MPG, FLV, M2V, MTS, and MOV.||Learn More|
|Filmora||Yes||MP4, F4V, WMV, MOV, AVI, 3GP, MPEG-2, MKV, GIF, TS, MP3, and WEBM.||Learn More|
|Animoto||Yes||3GPP, 3GP, AVI, DV, DIVX, FLV, MJPEG, M4V, MKV, M2TS, MOV, MOD, OGV, MP4, MPEG, MPG, MTS, MXF, WEBM, WMV.||Learn More|
|Adobe Spark||Yes||MP4, AVI, WMV, WAV, WMA, MP3||Learn More|
|Premiere Elements||Yes||MOV, AVI, MPEG, MPG, MXF||Learn More|
Adobe Premiere is one of the best Windows Movie Maker alternatives, which helps you make changes in your videos with ease. It allows you to export videos in formats like AVI (Audio-Video Interleaved), MXF (Material Exchange Format), and more.
- It automatically reformats your videos.
- Helps you to manage curve adjustments.
- It allows you to extend your editing platform non- linearly.
- This video editor tool helps you to accelerate audio mixing.
- You can get an immersive experience with all the tools required to create and share stories.
Filmora is one of the best alternatives of Movie Maker having an intuitive user interface and tons of video effects. This video editing software offers advanced editing modes and much better control, including keyframing over your videos.
- This tool provides fast processing, proxy files, and adjustable preview quality to be more productive.
- You can fix camera problems like camera shake and fisheye.
- Helps you to change the aesthetics of your videos with one click.
- You can share your stories online.
- It organizes your media in 100 full video tracks.
- It has PC/Mac cross-compatibility.
Animoto is one of the best Movie Maker alternative tools that offer ready-made templates to get started. It enables you to make videos for special events, including birthday parties.
- This tool allows you to make a slideshow with a personalized story.
- You can create a video photo album to post on a social media website.
- Allows you to upload videos and photo clips or choose from the library of Getty stock images.
- It allows you to share your videos with family, followers, and friends.
4) Adobe Spark
Adobe Spark is a tool that enables you to edit videos with ease. It allows you to trim the beginning and end of the video and insert a new clip in between. This tool has a resize button that enables you to toggle between square and widescreen formats.
- Allows you to add sound to your videos.
- You can create a video slideshow.
- It enables you to customize templates, fonts, and themes with no hassle.
- Allows you to share your videos with other people.
- You can drag and drop videos easily.
Premiere Elements is a tool that uses AI to edit, create, organize, and share videos with ease. It offers animation, art, effects, and transitions for video editing.
- It helps you to find videos using facial recognition, smart tags, and more.
- Allows you to share a creation with your friends.
- You can make animated social posts.
- It enables you to add stylish titles to videos.
- This tool enables you to add transitions to your videos.
- It helps you to improve videos that are captured in low light.
- You can create cinematic visuals.
Camtasia Studio is a strong competitor of Movie Maker that makes it simple to create professional-looking videos based on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.
- It is one of the best video editing software for beginners that enables you to record your screen and edit videos with ease.
- This video maker software helps you to streamline your video review process.
- Offers more than 900,000 royalty-free stock videos, music, and customizable assets.
- It offers eye-catching titles, annotations, and callouts.
- This tool allows you to add zoom in, zoom out, and pan animations.
- You can add quiz questions and interactivity to your learning videos.
- This replacement for Movie Maker enables you to record and import your presentations.
- Allows creating images and videos to give feedback.
- Guru99 users get 20% off with coupon “TSCAFF20”
PowerDirector is a video editing application developed by CyberLink. This tool supports motion graphics and animated titles. It also allows you to add customized shapes and objects to your video clips.
- It allows you to import 8K videos.
- PowerDirector enables you to produce videos in a 1:1 aspect ratio.
- You can add shapes to your videos.
- It provides numerous ready-made templates.
- This tool offers slow motion and fast motion effects.
- You can correct color distortion in a clip.
- It can stabilize shaky footage.
- You can import and edit video shots on camera.
VSDC is a video editor made by Flash-Integro. It is capable of producing high-quality footage, including UHD, 4K, 3D, etc. This app helps you to highlight or blur elements in your videos.
- You can edit videos in formats like AVI (Audio Video Integration), MP4, MPG (Moving Picture Group), and more.
- Allows you to create or make changes in the video captured from mobile phones, webcams, etc.
- Free version of this tool enables you to upload videos directly to YouTube.
- VSDC allows you to convert one clip format to another.
- This software enables you to place objects in any position on the timeline, having any size.
Media Composer is a powerful free video editing software. This tool helps you to customize the interface for any production role. This video editing software gives you more power and speed.
- It provides a standard version for independent video editors.
- You can integrate workflows and collaborate as a team.
- Allows you to customize the interface for any production role.
Wevideo is a collaborative web-based video editing platform that works in any browser. It helps you to change the background of the video. It enables you to develop high-quality videos with ease.
- You can edit videos from Chromebook, Windows, Mobile, and Mac.
- This app offers unlimited cloud storage to make a video.
- Helps you to bring your memories to life with stunning home movies.
- Allows you to inspire meaningful learning and creative expression in any subject.
- Helps you to add custom text, colors, emojis, etc., to videos.
11) VEGAS Pro
Vegas Prois a video editor software that has easy to use user interface to edit videos. This tool automatically saves your work. It helps you to import videos from a tablet, video camera, and smartphone.
- It provides hundreds of video effects.
- You can remove whole sections of a video clip with ease.
- It supports HDR (High Dynamic Range).
- You can edit an 8K video using this tool.
- Sony Vegas Pro provides a drag and drop feature.
- This tool offers a nested timeline to speed up your workflow.
- The advanced version of Sony Vegas Pro provides a lens correction plugin.
- You can make a slow-motion video.
Lightworks is a platform for editing any digital video in various formats, including 2K, 4K resolution, and HD formats. It supports OS platforms like Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.
- You can easily edit the video timeline and trim it.
- This easy video editing software enables you to export videos for YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- You can make 2D and 3D titles.
- Lightworks allows you to share a clip with other people and assign read or write access.
- You can easily customize the shortcuts.
- Lightworks supports English, German, Italian, and more languages.
- This tool provides a simple way to trim your videos.
13) OpenShot Video Editor
OpenShot is an open-source video editing tool. This Movie Maker alternative supports Linux, Mac, and Windows operating systems. It provides a drag and drop feature to easily add assets to the video project.
- You can create as many layers as you want.
- Provides titles with 3D animated effects.
- It enables you to move up, down, or lock the track.
- It is one of the best free Movie Maker alternatives for Windows that enables you to resize, trim, and rotate clips.
- OpenShot provides video transitions with real time previews.
- You can quickly adjust the font and colour of your titles.
- This free video editor tool helps you to split out an audio clip from the video.
Shotcut is an open-source application to trim videos precisely. It allows you to increase or decrease the transition speed of any clip with ease. This tool supports unlimited undo and redo facilities.
- This tool makes it easy to cut, copy, and paste videos.
- This tool allows users to detach audio from video.
- It has mute, hide, and lock track controls.
- Enables you to drag-n-drop video files from the video manager.
- Shotcut provides a multi-track timeline.
- You can sort your playlists by name or creation date.
- It enables you to multi-select items in the timeline.
- Supported platforms: Windows.
Blender is an open-source video creation suite that supports animation, motion tracking, video editing, 2D animation, etc. This tool allows you to customize the application using the blender’s API for Python scripts.
- You can change the animation pose using an editor.
- Allows you to render multilayer OpenEXR files.
- You can easily combine 2D images with 3D.
- This video-making software provides animation support with onion skinning.
- Helps custom users to customize window layout and shortcuts.
Prezi is one of the best Movie Maker alternatives to make your first video easily. It provides a wide range of templates, images, icons, and effects for creating a movie. This tool offers a library of ready-made videos to add to your own content.
- Enables you to edit videos with ease.
- You can record and save videos for your emails or social media.
- This application offers a live stream facility.
- It allows you to add visuals and frames.
- You can add a zooming effect to the videos.
- It contains plenty of customized graphics, charts, and layouts.
- You can collaborate with your team members while making a video.
17) HitFilm Pro
HitFilm Pro is a video editing and recording tool. It enables you to edit the video and add effects. It helps you to trim, make changes in audio, and more.
- Combining 2D and 3D videos is very easy.
- It supports more than 410 effects.
- This tool can be used on Windows and Mac.
- HitFilm Express provides unlimited tracks to arrange video clips.
- It provides color correction and grading features.
- It contains a track panel to control 2D tracking inside HitFilm.
❓ What is Windows Movie Maker?
Windows Movie Maker is a powerful and easy-to-use video editing application for Windows operating systems. It contains useful features like effects, titles, timeline narration, and audio track. It allows users to create and edit videos with ease. It also enables users to publish their videos on YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, etc.
⚡ Which are the Best Windows Movie Maker alternatives?
Here are some of the best Windows movie maker alternatives:
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Vegas Pro
💻 What makes a good Windows Movie Maker alternative?
Here are some good features of a Windows Movie Maker alternative software:
- It should fix camera problems like camera shake and fisheye.
- It must allow you to change the aesthetics of your videos with ease.
- It should offer eye-catching tiles, annotations, and callouts.
- These tools must allow you to add zoom in, zoom out, and pan animations.
- You should be able to resize, trim, and rotate clips using these tools.
- These tools must allow adding transitions to your videos.