A project is a temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service or result. A project is defined as temporary because it has a defined beginning and end time, and it is unique because it has a particular set of operations designed to accomplish a goal
The primary characteristics of a project are
- It has a definite start and end point
- Once the end point is reached, the project is over
- It is attempting to achieve something new
- Project must meet the customer or stakeholder requirements
While, the project management is the discipline of planning, organizing, motivating and controlling resources to achieve specific goals. The main challenge of project management is to achieve project goals and objectives while keeping in mind the project scope, time, quality and cost.
Project management actually began in the early 1950s. The need for project management arised observing the benefit of organizing work within the project and critical need to co-ordinate across different departments and professionals.
Project management mainly deals with these ten areas
- Human resources
- Stakeholder management
- Risk Management
While preparing project, look project into these three perspectives, it helps to give much better understanding of the whole process
- How does project fit into the organization?
- How the project will evolve over time?
- What skills are required to manage the project successfully?
There are various methodologies that are available for project management like Prince2, Agile, Six Sigma, etc. which we will look into in a later part of the tutorial. Various tools are available to track project tasks and measure accomplishments during the project. These includes Gantt charts, PERT charts and Work down structures.
Certification for Project Management
The popular project management certifications are PMP and PRINCE2, which is acknowledged all over the world.
Project Management Professional (PMP) is a certification administered by Project Management Institute, U.S.A. It is a project management course recognized all over the world. PMBOK-fifth edition is the latest version for this exam. The certification is valid for 3 years.
Pre-requisite for PMI-PMP examination includes
- Four-year bachelor degree
- A minimum of 4500 hours of project management experience
- A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate degree, etc.)
- A minimum of 7500 hours of project management in last five years
- 35 hours of project management education from a registered education provider (REP)
- Fee Structure to earn 35 PDUs vary from country to country, it may vary from $300 to $5000
- Fee structure for computer-based testing (CBT)
- For PMI members $405.00
- For non-PMI members $555.00
- Re-examination Fees
- For PMI members $275.00
- For non-PMI members $375.00
- To clear the exam, you need to pass a multiple choice examination
- You need to answer 200 questions in 4 hours time for domain mentioned below
- The exam is available in 13 different languages globally.
It will assess the candidate management knowledge in the following five domains. The weightage of questions for each domain include
|Project Management Area||Percentage of Questions|
|Initiating the project||13|
|Planning the project||24|
|Executing the project||30|
|Monitoring and Controlling the project||25|
|Closing the project||8|
There are other various courses available related to project management on PMI like PgMP, PfMP, CAPM, etc. For more information, you can visit the website the PMBOK website.
If you are in the Western Europe, Prince 2 is a good alternative to PMP. It is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practiced worldwide. Prince2 have certification for various level prince2 foundation, prince2 foundation & practitioner, and prince2 practitioner. Courses and Exams for prince2 certification are available online.
Project management is the discipline of planning, organizing, motivating and controlling resources to achieve specific goals.
- Project management deals with various aspect of projects like
- Human resources
- Stakeholder management
- Procurement, etc.
- Various tools used to track project tasks and measure accomplishments during the project includes Gantt charts, PERT charts, etc.
- There are various methodologies that are available for project management like Prince2, Agile, Six Sigma, etc.
- Popular certification for project management is Project Management Professional (PMP). It is a certification administered by Project Management Institute, U.S.A.